New forum member with questions

Hello and thank you for the acceptance. I have newly acquired an assortment of rounds from a relative that passed away recently. He was a Veteran and a life long gunsmith.
I am not knowledgeable in this area whatsoever, I am an avid hunter here in Alaska but do not collect guns and rounds nor do I reload…although I would like to.
I would like to honor him and make a really nice display case for the majority of the old rounds I have from him and first question being cleaning them up…should I? Are they preferred to be kept patina (I would think yes).
Also I will include some pictures here of what I have and hopefully someone may spot any info they can fill me in on what they see…pretty clueless here and would love any input. Thanks in advance for any answers that may be given in advance.

More pics

2 Likes

To get the ball rolling, what you have are mainly fairly modern, clean, commercial cartridges, with some military mixed in. I would not engage in any aggressive cleaning, maybe just a bit of a wipe with a very slightly oily cloth.
Lots of good identification resources on-line, including here, so see what you can easily figure out. Post any individual mysteries, including measurements and pictures.

these are a 30mm Gau round obn right fro the A10 resat are 50 caliber from right mayeb a AP the red/silver is i think Incendiary tracer one with hole is a Factory Dummy. BTW the 30mm looks inert! maybe a dummy as well.

didnt go where I intended. picture with one large and three smaller rounds above!

LOVE the collection

Grant

believe to example you note as a 30 GAU is a 20x102 Vulcan
Below the 30 GAU, 20mm & at the bottom a Cal. 50

To Cwoods
Great start & welcome.
As jonnyc notes for cleaning & it looks like you have a mixture of both sporting and military rounds in those containers. So lots to learn. No question is a dumb one, we have all been where your are on the learning curve.

The round is a USN 20x110 (Mk5 Mod 0) Dummy for the Mk12 gun as shown on the projectile.
These also come with a blue projectile. Shows how hard to guess an ID without case dimensions.
The 20mm Vulcan is 20x102.

Your right it is the110mm should have recognized the case hole pattern / number

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have looked up a couple rounds and found info on them. It was as I had figured, don’t go crazy on making them shiny…leave mostly as is with the patina. I have a bit to sift through…boxes of gun powder, bullet lead etc as well. I think these old rounds are really really cool and am pretty excited about building a display case for them to hang on one of my wild game walls.

Buy the book " Cartridge of the World" Amazon, read it cover to cover .
It is a good start . Then there are many more books out there.
My book collection is now about 400, with many books only about one cartridge.
If you learn the history of each cartridge , that is 80 % of the fun of collecting.
I just wish I could remember all I have read :slight_smile:

1 Like

I beg to differ on buying Cartridges Of The World. MANY mistakes & Items lumped together that are for different firearms. The editors have been told many times by many people of the mistakes but the just keep repeating them.

That this one it not wort the money Dave is corect in urging you to buy books & Join the IAA.

As for building a display case 2 things not to do:. glue them or wire them in. Wood should be thoroughly sealed as some woods give off fumes that will over time, cause the lead to swell and the case to tarnish.

1 Like

I am planning on making it out of clear fir to match the rest of the wood accents in the house and applying a couple coats of urethane to it. Hopefully that will be sufficient. As for the attachment and orientation of the cartridges I have been looking for ideas online but haven’t seen the wire method yet, I will have to search that one out.

Well they are your cartridges, So wire em down if you want.

I don’t believe that Cwoods saw the word not in your reply Pete.

Mayhem you are correct! Just reread PetedeCoux’s reply…no wire, got it. Any ideas best on a display out there? Open to all suggestions thank you!

Whatever you decide to use as a cabinet, acid-free open corrugated cardboard works well.