New guy and his ammo collection. Also 1 question

Hi everybody. I’m new here on the forum. I just wanted to show you my collection and wanted your opinions on what I have.
I have:
7 probably handloaded .45 ACP lead bullet rounds. Different cases with the same bullet style made me think they were handloaded.
1 Remington .30 Carbine soft point.
1 Remington .22 Hornet hollow point.
1 Winchester .25 ACP full metal jacket.
3 .44 Magnum soft points.
3 .35 Remington 150 grain soft points.
8 .410 Aluminum shells for M6 survival gun.
1 paper top fold “Redhead Reliance” 12-ga shell.
1 Remington black plastic 12-ga shell with a white “8” on the side.
1 Remington Shurshot 12-ga shell. I’m not sure if paper or plastic. It would be really hard paper, but it doesn’t feel like plastic.
4 .405 Winchester Hornady soft points.
1 Remington .35 WSL soft point.
2 7mm Remington Magnum rounds with purplish-black bullets with red tips.
4 .338 Win Mag Winchester Soft Points.
5 Mixed Brand .22 LR blank or shot shells. 1 has a Winchester Super X headstamp, the others are just “U”. Crimped brass hulls, not plastic capsules.
Dummies:
1 .38 Spl. dummy made from fired case, recovered bullet, and either a .22 LR case or 2 .209 spent primers as filler.
1 .500 SW Mag dummy.
1 .50 BMG dummy.

Well, there’s my collection. Now my question. I have the opportunity to buy 10-20 (I cant remember, but probably closer to 10) .380-200 rounds (AKA .380 Revolver) for $10.00. I can also get 15-20 (Once more, don’t know) really old (dusty and near rusted) .25 Remington rounds for either $15 or $20. I could get 10 old .30 Luger rounds for $10.00. So on all counts, it amounts to about a dollar per cartridge. Are any of these a good deal? Thanks for your input.

AmmocollectorME

Welcome AmmocollectorME
As to your collection, good start. most of us just like one of each but if different we probably keep it. Like your 4@ 338 Win Mags, if all the same we have three traders. Also most of us are not too keen on handloaded ammunition as we prefer factory original, although in certain cases (no pun intended) the case may be a wildcat & so naturally a handload. A VERY high percentage of .45 ACP were loaded with jacketed bullets so your likely dead-on about them being handloads, especially with different headstamps. Someone’s practice or match loads. DO NOT SHOOT someone else’s handloads.

Your Shurshot shell might be plastic or paper as that brand was loaded over a long time. What sort of mouth crimp does it have? If pie type most likely plastic, & not dented by a fingernail, if the crimp is rolled-over a paper top wad it is probably paper, which should be EASILY marked by a fingernail, so check carefully.

As to the possible purchases the .38-200’s are a good deal, the 25 Rem. sounds not so good, as good condition ones sell for perhaps .50¢ or less. & the same with the .30 Luger, unless those are all different.

If you live in Maine? (the ME in your name?) there are several collectors there who might have some trade stuff for you.

You also might like to join the IAA, (see the home page) lots of great information, adverts about up-coming cartridge shows & addresses of other collectors.

Yeah, I’m in Maine. I have that many duplicates because at the trading post near me, they have a rack full of incomplete boxes and if I see one I want, I buy it. Thanks for the info on the others, by the way. The crimp on the shur-shot is a rolled over top wad crimp. It doesn’t dent easy though. And those .45 ACPs and the .30 Carbine were actually in a jar in my grandfathers basement. He didn’t handload, so I don’t know about the .45s. I also got the .44 Mags and .22s from when my grandmother found them. They almost went to a scrap yard!

Ammocollector - Factory .45 Auto rounds loaded with lead bullets do exist, but they are in a big minority. The same lead bullet in various .45 cartridge cases would, 90+% of the time, indicate reloads.

I agree with the comments on reloads. Most collectors don’t care for them. One reason for keeping one, though, was not mentioned, and that is if the case reloaded is scarce in some way, such as a rare headstamp. I guess I would be classed as a relatively advanced collector in auto pistol rounds - I have been saving the little blighters for 50+ years - but believe me, I will take a headstamp I don’t have in anything from a mint loaded round, to one dug up out of the ground, including fired cases, reloads, or what have you. My main interest is headstamps (these days, with the “headstamp of the day” coming out every ten minutes, I almost wish it wasn’t). I don’t, however, keep a reload if there is not something of special interest to me, such as the headstamp, or a specially-unusual and interesting projectile, including lead ones.

The main thing, is collect the way you want to collect. As you advance, things will tend to sort themselves out. Some people never were general collectors - I started with auto pistol rounds because at the time I had a fair to midland auto pistol collection. I never went through the general collecting pahse that starts most of us out. However, if I said I have never strayed from the “auto pistol cartridge path” I would be a liar. It always seems though, that I come back home to that specialty always, so I guess down deep, it is my real ammunition interest. You will find your own “best interest” during collecting, if you stay with it. It is a nice hobby, with nice people in it (the latter being the best part of it - believe me when I say that).

Happy hunting And Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum ammocollectorME, The best words of advice I have ever been given is “collect what you like it is your collection and nobody else’s”. I started out collecting just about anything I could get my hands on general militaria, inert ammunition & anything even remotely military I collected it from being a young lad I joined the Army cadets here in the UK shot my first Enfield and put on my first uniform and I was hooked.

You may start to concentrate on one type of ammunition or 1 calibre, it doesn’t really matter what you do as long as you enjoy your collecting, You have come to the right place to get help and information on anything you find. You will meet fellow collectors on here it is a fantastic resource for the ammunition collector we must have some of the worlds most knowledgeable people in the ammunition collecting community “I’m not one of them” :-)

I mainly collect .303 British but I find it hard not to buy other rounds when they catch my eye at the collectors meet-ups

good luck with your collecting and happy new year

Rich

Oh and a first name would be nice we are all friendly on here

If you mean the Kittery Trading Post’s “junk ammo shelf” with incomplete boxes, then that thing is great. I always check it when I make it down there and have found a few good items. You never know what sort of partial box of vintage ammo will be there, usually traded in or sold with a gun is how it winds up there.

Actually, DK, I didn’t know Kittery Trading Post had a junk shelf. I meant the Old Town Trading Post. Ever been there? EDIT: My name is Steve.

Steve:
Welcome to cartridge collecting. My collection also started with an old jar of cartridges from my grandfather’s. There were some .25-35 Winchesters, some .32-20 Win High Velocity, a mangled .38-72 Win and .270 Winchester reloads on reformed WWII era military .30-06 cases. I found them when I was about ten, nobody knew where they came from, and my grandfather didn’t use those calibers. Of course they were forbidden objects for a ten year old, so I carefully stashed them in the back of a high shelf and “officially collected” them, in 1974, at the ripe old age of twelve.
Curt

I really don’t know why my grandfather had the .30 Carbine either. It, and the .45s, were in a jar in his basement, as you know. What I forgot to say was that he worked on furnaces and delivered oil. Whenever a mercury switch on a furnace was bad, he would break it and put the mercury in a jar. Guess where I found the full jar of mercury? By the ammo! That was my grandfather though. He always kept just about anything in his basement. Actually, both my ammo cans for shootable and collectable ammo were metal boxes from his basement painted OD green. And about how I said my grandmother found some? I knew he had a .44, and a .22, but he also had a .300 Wby Mag. I’m surprised she didn’t find any of those rounds yet.