New guy with questions

I was informed by a Calguns.net memeber to ask here about this ammo I have.
So a few weeks ago I bought this 1945 colt 1911 from my dad, it was my grandpas when he was in the Air Force, my dad also gave me some ammo and cleaning supplies he had with it. I know the .45ammo is military issue,but the 9mm I am not sure about.The 9mm says GFL 9.m38 1940 any idea on what its worth if anything???
Thanks in advance guys.

Welcome to the IAA Forum! The box of 9mm is Italian military from 1940 and made specifically for use in the Beretta Model 1938 machine pistol (submachine gun). It is corrosive and loaded with a 115gr bullet. This ammunition is pretty common but the box is nice. It as made for the Colonial Police as indicated on the top of the label. Don’t throw it away. Some collector will want it.

Cheers,

Lew

Oh I wont throw it away, but if there is anybody here that wants to buy it ,I would be willing to sell it, just not sure what its worth.
PS. Thanks for the info…

Bigchris: The Beretta cartridges appear to have been packed in ten round clips. Are they still with the box? Jack

no clips just loose ammo.

Bigchris: It’s very neat; thanks for showing it to us. Jack

Jack: No problem.

Note that we ( italian collectors) are the only guys on the planet that consider the 9 mm M38 as a distinct cartridge , not a simple 9 mm Para variation.

Hi All,

I’m also a new guy here and it’s because I saw some strange ammo today. A friend recieved a box of .45acp of WWII vintage. Mixed in were rounds with a headstamp of 42 also some with 43. I’m not sure now but one of those had the letters ECS with the number. I have since learned that the ECS probably stands for the Evanston Chrysler Sunbeam plant in Evanston, Illnois. The rims are for a semi-auto. Could they be .45cal?

He also told me about a 5mm round that he suggested was about three inches long? What could that be?

MildBill–Welcome to the Forum. I’m sure you will enjoy it. You have ID’ed the ECS headstamp correctly. The ECS 42 & 43 cartridges are standard .45 ACP for the M1911, or any arm made for .45 Automatic. However, if your going to shoot them, they are Corrosive Primed. They are by far the most common round from WW-II still found today. Evensville made so many BILLIONS of.45 ACP in 1942 & 1943 that the military shut the plant down even before the war was ended. They had enough in the warehouses that even if the war went another 10 years, they would not have needed to make any more. You can buy full boxes of 50 of them at almost any gun show today, almost 70 years later.

Are you sure that the 5mm cartridge you mentioned is 5mm. There are a few rifle cartridges of that caliber, but not many. If you post a picture or at least give us the dimensions, we can ID it for you.

Bill
There is a 5x58mm Sturdevent that is 3.33" long
There is a 5.2x68mm Mondragon that is 3.07" long (that’s a interesting cartridge concept)
Was it either of those?

It’s Evansville, Indiana. The Evansville Ordnance Plant, Sunbeam Refrigerator (ECS) did not manufacture ammuntion. They made cases which were sent to Evansville Ordnance Plant, Chrysler (EC)for inspection and loading.

Ray