New Member/Great Resource

I was looking for information on the 9,3X75R Nimrod and found this forum. It looks like a great resource for me. I’m not a cartridge collector, but I shoot older German rounds in combination guns.

This looks to be a knowledgeable bunch and friendly. I’m not sure how I’ll fit in… ;)

L2S

Here are some notes from my database on the 9.3x75R Nimrod:

*********************Produced from c1905
This scarce calibre is a bit of a mystery and was not shown in any known catalog but an RWS factory drawing (dated 18.7.1930) of this cartridge exists. Examples exist with either the proprietary “NIMROD-GEWEHRFABRIK SUHL” or the probably newer but still pre-1922 “9.3X75 * NIMROD *” hs , both of which are likely to be of RWS manufacturer. This is sometimes confused for the 9.3x74R Mauser (M60).

This case, like the other Nimrod 9.3mm types (EXP14, EXP16) has a very slight neck and the case tapers consistently from the base with a diameter of 11.0mm to the start of the neck at a diameter of 10.1mm (ie a 1.1mm taper over 66mm of case). This is a more gradual taper than most other 360 based German Express types.

Riim thickness appear to vary from 1.1 to 1.25mm (like an “E” type) and range from squared edge to bevelled, which gives a false impression of a narrower rim than it actually is. Unlike the 9.3x82R Nimrod, this has a narrower rim diameter (specimens vary from 12.25-12.4mm).

Most examples of these appear to have the bullet seated lower than one would expect which gives an overall cartridge length very similar to the loaded 9.3x72R Nimrod type (EXP14). Maybe they were intended for the same weapon ??

Meyer’s Panorama des Munitions lists a “GECADO + * +” hs example which appears to be this case type and would indicate GECADO production. Horneber also produced cases c2004-2005.

*More recently Horneber produced this case type with no h/s.

welcome to the IAA Forum

check us out…I think you will find membership a bargan when you see the quality of the all color Journal

the Forum is free to anyone

Pepper Burruss
IAA President

Welcome, L2S!

Very happy to have you on the forum and hope you join as a member. The Journal the IAA puts out is amazing and 1st rate, and the members are always eager to help in any way. I cannot recommend the IAA higher if you have an interest in ammunition on any level. I have learned and continue to learn each day from the IAA and have made countless friends. A+ all the way!

Jason Abels