New old fake grenade

ONE OF THE RAREST AND EASIEST TO FAKE GRENADES IS THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR ERA MARINE INCENDIARY CERAMIC GRENADE.

A LOT OF FAKE REVOLUTIONARY WAR ERA GRENADES HAS SURFACED IN NORTH EASTERN OHIO AND ARE FOR SALE ON EBAY AND POSSIBLY ELSEWHERE. This may be the same lot which appeared within a year of the discovery of a trash pit of the era which contained pieces of this RARE grenade type. I bought one to examine and the seller ( on Ebay) used the same photo of what I bought to list the next sale. What he sent was not what was pictured.

Here are some photos of the items being offered by 2 dealers within 10 miles of each other in Ohio.

How did it work?

Filled with incendiary substances with burning wicks in the holes. Good for setting sails aflame. Shatters on impact spreading the flames. This is not good for a ship made of wood with hemp ropes and canvas sails all around not to mention kegs of gun powder about if it has deck guns. History says the Greeks started this but some say the Turks. Truth lost in time.

More of these are showing up on Ebay from the same dealer in Kent Ohio. I bought one and returned it. They are fakes. Too easy to make.