New Russian shotgun ammo - .366 TKM

Law is funny here. You can own silencer, but using them for shooting and especially hunting is illegal.
This particular “civilian” VSS clone (it’s not an original, mind you) has a dummy silencer which is no more than a jacket for a full-length barrel.

Thanks for the reply.

On average, what do the guns shown cost to buy in Russia?

with current rates of exchange, surplus SKS or AKM rebored to .366 are sold for about 500-600 EUR/USD; newly made Vintorez-MA were advertised at about 1700 USD/EUR (100,000 rub)

Thanks for the reply.

What modifications are done to the AKM to permanently remove capability for full automatic fire?

as far as I know, they modified the fire selector inside so it provides semi-auto in both positions, and welded some pins in-place to avoid easy installation of original select-fire parts
same conversions also applied to surplus AKM rifles which are sold as semi-auto carbines in their original 7.62x39 chamberings.
The civilian PPSh, IIRC, has its selector welded in “semi-auto” position, and that’s it (plus, of cause, it is sold with magazines restricted to 10 rounds)

As the subject of headstamps on converted military cartridges was risen here some of those observed on the .366 TKM:

Techkrim announces the .366 Magnum:

Dear forum members,

I consider it necessary to express my opinion about smoothbore weapons with a rifled portion of the barrel channel, so-called weapons with “Lancaster” barrel channel and TECHCRIM cartridges intended for firing this weapons.

1. Indeed, Russian legislation permits smoothbore weapons with a rifled portion of the barrel channel with a length of not longer than 140 mm (“Paradox” weapons).
    Question: What is the difference between smoothbore weapons with a rifled portion of the barrel channel, and rifled weapons with a smoothbore portion of the barrel channel? This is not word games; this is a very important question.
    Russian legislation answers this question. The key word is “smoothbore”. In accordance with the Russian legislation, smoothbore weapons intended for firing cartridges for rifled weapons is prohibited. Calibers of cartridges for smoothbore weapons are indicated in the C.I.P. Table VII (in the USA, ANSI/SAAMI Z299.2 Standard “Shotshell Ammunition”). These are 12, 16, 20, etc. caliber cartridges. However, it is evident that 366TKM cartridges represent cartridges for rifled weapons.
    This means that 366TKM caliber smoothbore weapons with a rifled portion of the barrel channel is, in fact, rifled weapons that is produced and sold in Russia illegally. The same applies to other calibers of weapons.

2. There is no weapons with “Lancaster” barrel channel; this is a fake name. There is weapons with a longitudinal-helical shape of the barrel channel (polygonal barrel), the cross-section of which is formed by an ellipse or polygon with rounded corners. It’s all the same here. In accordance with the Russian legislation, smoothbore weapons intended for firing cartridges for rifled weapons is prohibited. This means that 366TKM caliber smoothbore weapons with “Lancaster” barrel channel is, in fact, rifled weapons that is produced and sold in Russia illegally. The same applies to other calibers of weapons.

3. In Russia, there are different opinions about smoothbore weapons with a rifled portion of the barrel channel, so-called weapons with “Lancaster” barrel channel, and TECHCRIM cartridges, intended for firing these weapons. There will be a struggle. With Russia specifics.

Mikhail

366 Magnum ammo spotted in the wild (sorry, in local gun shop)

3 Likes

That is awesome in so many ways. Wish I could get my hands on one.
Thanks for posting.
Zac

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

It is interesting that they do not seem very critical in their choice of brass. The case pictured, originally a Polish 7.9 x 57, is a shade over 80 years old!

John Moss

Yes, Techkrim won a tender to recycle huge amounts of WW2-era ammo, Lend-Lease (.45ACP) and captured (7.9x57). So they are basically disassembling those rounds and recycling primed brass and powder in any conceivable way, i.e. making less-lethal “traumatic” loads from .45 and blanks or “366 Magnums” from 7.9x57

Dear forum member, I’m not at home now. I will return home on Sunday and answer you. Mikhail

Dear forum members,

My opinion remains the same: 366 TKM caliber cartridges, 366 Magnum caliber cartridges, and so on are not cartridges for smoothbore weapons and are cartridges for rifled weapons.

Russian legislation allows the use of smoothbore weapons and rifled weapons. In fact, in Russia also has widely spread the weapons with a polygonal barrel of 366 TKM caliber and so on. The weapons with a polygonal barrel in the Russian legislation is absent.

In order to regulate of trafficking the weapons with a polygonal barrel, it is necessary to:

• to introduce this weapon into the legislation;
  • establish the rules of trafficking these weapons or like for smoothbore weapons, or like for rifled weapons.
    To date, this is not done.

Influential Russian deputy Alexander Hinshteyn on his official website reported that on March 13 this issue was considered with representatives of law enforcement. According to the results of the debate, it was decided to amend the legislation. In accordance with the planned amendments to the legislation, the rules of trafficking the weapons with a polygonal barrel should be established like for weapons with a rifled barrel. However, since then, there have been no new posts.

Alexander Hinshteyn

Alexander Hinshteyn

Mikhail

I wonder how many corners you can count on ellypse that forms the Paradox bore.

So, basically, some politician wants to add more restrictions to already stagnating market…
How nice.
I’ll make sure to pass that news to Russian gun people
I really hope his stupid initiative would fail; instead, we need to drop the stupid waiting period completely

The original Lancaster barrel was a helical ellipse. ( IE, a twisted elliptical smoothbore)
A polygonal barrel, by the mathematical definition of Polygon, means " many sided" or “many angled”…see your basic Geometry textbook.
Thus" triangle, quadrangle, pentagon, hexagon,…polygon."

Thus polygonal rifling is Many angled or segmented, whilst Lancaster’s Elliptical twist is still
“SMOOTH”…An Ellipse has only one side, and no angles.Same as a smooth circle, only with two foci, not one as in a circle.
Therefore a true a Lancaster bore whether full lenght or part lenght,
Is Still a smoothbore.
Remember that " rifling" was originally a Straight groove/s, the the use of Twist was found to impart stabilising spin to the bullet.
So the Russian Politicians should go back to High School, and revise Basic Geometry!!!

Doc AV
Old enough to have had a good classical education at High School
(Greek Geometry, Arabic Algebra,
Latin, but Sadly " no Greek").

legislators everywhere don’t have a clue
sadly, roots of the problem at least partially lie in “experts” like mr. Grinberg, who put wrong ideas such as “ellipse is a polygon” on the politicians’ tables.

A few photos to add to the thread

20201114_064325

20201114_065034

20201114_065139

20201114_065305

20201114_070343

20201114_070937

20201114_230509

20201114_230758

2 Likes

THANK YOU for the great pictures!

1 Like