New US Case Manufacturer

I recently bought a box of PolyCase 9mmP RNP (Round Nose Polymer) ammunition and was surprised to see that the headstamp was simply “9X19mm” at the bottom of the hst. After some digging and some help, it turned out to be Truelove and Maclean Inc of Watertown CT. The company was established in 1944 making complex deep draw and light gage stampings. The business evolved over the years and branched out into other areas. For the past 15 years their strategy focused on critical components for the automotive and consumer/industrial markets both domestic and international.

I called them and they said their principle customers were automotive, but they had very recently branched out into making cartridge cases. It was a cold call, so the marketing individual I spoke with was hesitate to disclose a lot. He acknowledged that they had sold cases with their generic headstamp to PolyCase, and that they had made cases for “3 or 4” other loaders with their respective headstamps, but understandably did not want to disclose the names of their customers. My impression is that the cases were not necessarily all 9mmP. I hope they will open up a bit. I think I convinced him to retain a few examples of each case produced in a box in his desk drawer. Maybe he will eventually release the old ones but at least they will be out there for somebody to find eventually.

I recently picked up a well made unheadstamped brass case from a Georgia loader. A company had given them some trial cases but the guy couldn’t remember who they were. When I asked the T&M guy he said they had made unheadstamped cases early on and passed out 20 to 100 to loaders on marketing trips. He didn’t admit that the guy I had gotten it from was one of the companies he had visited, but did say that the case was probably theirs. I called the source of the cartridge and he said that the company who gave him the cases had given them a briefing that talked about their automotive experience with drawings and stampings and his recollection was they were in the North East. I think it is likely the unheadstamped case is from T&M also.

Perhaps those of you who pay a lot of attention to headstamps and handle a lot may recognize the letter style on the headstamp below in another 9mm or other pistol caliber. If so please let me know!

Cheers,
Lew

Odd 9x19mm headstamp

Lew - I don’t quite understand the question of case recognition since you attribute the headstamp shown to Truelove & MaClean (? Did you mean “McClean”?).

However, the caliber-only headstamp is somewhat like seen on .45 Auto and 9 mm Luger cases made by Sellier & Bellot, I believe for a firm in Thailand, that have only the caliber markings at the bottom of the head. My “9 mm LUGER” headstamp has similar (but not identical) shaped “9” and the “mm” looks pretty much the same, the letters “m” not have the little hook at the top-left of the letter, but rather just being, if you will, a double, upside down “U”.

Still, it seems from the text of your thread that the identify of the case maker is a settled fact!?

Nice headstamp, regardless.

Sorry John, the " MaClean" was a typo and has been corrected.

I never intended to indicate this was unidentified in relation to it’s manufacturer, but there are 3 or 4 other headstamps out there perhaps in multiple calibers which are on T&M made cases. These could be codes we have not encountered or from well known manufacturers like Speer.

I did mention I had an unidentified round with no headstamp that I now suspect was also made by T&M.

Sorry if I have been unclear.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew - it was clear enough. I simply over-interpreted the meaning thinking it was that specific headstamp you wanted to identify. The more I look at the picture the more it looks like S&B to me but since we know it isn’t, maybe I should stop sipping on the liqueurs, a habit I have gone back to in recent days.
Speaking of that, I am about due for my glass of Amaretto. I just noticed for the first time that the label has called it “Disaronno” which is the first time I noticed that. It used to be “Amaretto di Saronno,” but I guess that was too long a name. Does this have anything to do with cartridges? No, but heck, there is more to life than cases, powder, bullets and primers, isn’t there?

JM, The change from “Amaretto Di Saronno” to “Disaronno” was due to some of the asinine European Labelling rules regarding Trademarks. In order to preserve the “Goodwill” of the Name, the Owners had to invent a New Name to comply with these asinine pronouncements that come out of Brussells. A Bit Like Kommieformia Gun and Knife Laws…

WE noticed the change when it happened (a couple of years ago,) as My wife uses it for making a Dessert (pudding) called in Piedmontese “Bunet” ( It. Buonetto, “a Little Goodness”) which is made with Chocolate, Eggs, Amaretti Biscuits, and Amaretto di Saronno…and served with fresh Blueberries and Strawberries…and of course a little glass of AdiS as well.

Doc AV

Doc, While I prefer drinking Amaretto to eating it, that recipe sounds great, save for the Blueberries, which are one of God’s mistakes! Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea the name change came about due to laws. Yes, it does sound like California. San Francisco recently outlawed the keeping of Gold Fish (and perhaps all fish) as pets. No, I am NOT kidding. Considering who’s in charge, why am I not surprised?