New US XM1152 and XM1153 9x19mm

The following appeared in October in The Firearms Blog. I found it after it was shown in the latest ECRA bulletin which reported.

The recent US Army Modular Handgun System competition for a new pistol and ammunition system was
mentioned in item 630-10, and a photo provided of Federal’s candidate for the XM1153; the steel-tipped EBR.
However, Sig Sauer (the winner of the MHS) was partnered with Winchester ammunition, and photos of the
Winchester rounds have been posted by Nathaniel F on the TFB website.

These are the first images I have seen of the new US 9x19mm ammunition. Does anyone else have images or other information?

Cheers,
Lew

M17 MHS Food – US Army’s XM1153 Special Purpose 9mm Round Unveiled by Winchester at [AUSA 2017]

It is easy to forget, what with all the hubbub about SIG’s selection for M17, Glock’s protest, and SIG’s subsequent recall, that the M17 program was intended to procure a “total system package”, not just ahandgun. This meant, besides the handgun, ammunition, magazines, spares, accessories, holsters, and eventually optics and suppressors as well. While much ink has been spilt, and many glam photos taken of the XM17 and M17 MHS handguns themselves, we have not yet seen or heard very much about the ammunition it is intended to fire. From second-place finisher Glock, we have already seen the Federal-engineered Enhanced Barrier Ammunition. Partnered with SIG for the competition wasammunition heavyweight Winchester/Olin, and so it was reasonable to expect their entry to be something based on Winchester’s existing product line. At the 2017 Association of the United States Army annual meeting, that expectation was confirmed:

Winchester representatives at the booth confirmed that the ammunition was indeed XM1153 Special Purpose, and that it was based on the T-Series, but re-engineered for the US Army’s specifications. This makes me wonder if the new Special Purpose ammnition is more similar to the older Black Talonround, which uses the same basic design as the T-Series but which is engineered to expand slightly less while giving greater penetration. Or, possibly, the Army had other requirements and this is not thecase; I am just speculating.
Also present at Winchester’s booth was the XM1152 improved ball round, which externally appears to be a simple flat-nosed FMJ. This suggests it may be a variant of Winchester’s 147gr Super Unleaded encapsulated FMJ round, which lacks any exposed lead base, instead being clad all around with a gilding metal jacket. It seems likely to me that the XM1152 has a different weight bullet, however, likely 115-130 grains rather than 147.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/24/m17-mhs-food-us-armys-xm1153-special-purpose-9mm-round-unveiled-winchester-ausa-2017/

The EBR (Engel Ballistic Research) designed rounds were also pictured on TFB.

MHS GLOCK to COME TO MARKET: Glock MHS and BARRIER BLIND 9mm Ammunition Reviewed by European Security & Defence Magazine

The defense magazine European Security & Defence has published an article detailing for the first timeGlock’s Modular Handgun System submission and its Federal-engineered ammunition. The article – part technical overview, part interview, details the recent history of Glock’s MHS submission, the technical characteristics of their Glock 19 MHS and 23 MHS pistols, and the current feeling amongGlock executives about their second place finish in the competition. I highly recommend our readershead over the the ES&D website, where they can read the full article for free in text only or PDF form. But, since I don’t want to bury the lede any more than I have, here’s what Glock’s head of International Sales, Richard Flür, had to say on the Glock MHS’s future beyond the US Army:
ESD: Will there be a version of the Glock Modular Handgun System pistol for the commercial market? Flür: Yes. We think this is a great pistol and would like to give all interested parties the opportunity to try and purchase it. All costs associated with the development of the pistol were financed by Glock, so it is also possible to market thepistol independently. Of course, we will be able to make good use of the experience gained from completing this project.Some aspects will certainly be reflected in futureGlock products.
The Federal Enhanced Barrier Round is also interesting – to say the least. Vista Outdoor/Federal appears to be building on its experience producing M855A1 ammunition via Lake City. The new 9mmEBR round uses a similar sort of construction, with a hard steel center and copper jacket with – notably, for a US military round – expansion or fragmentation cuts formed directly into the jacketmaterial. Although this round likely has its lineage with recent US rifle ammo developments, it’s difficult to miss its resemblance to Russian high performance 9x19mm pistol ammo, which shares similar construction.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/23/mhs-glock-come-market-glock-mhs-barrier-blind-9mm-ammunition-reviewed-european-security-defence-magazine/

Lew, are there any closeups of the cartridges in the top picture? Interesting projectile shape, are they crimped like a blank?

Sorry, these are the only images I’ve found. I hope someone else has better images.

Lew

Hopefully soon there will be some good ones. They almost look like the new HydraShok “Deep” with a less severe crimp around the nose of the projectile.

The dummy rounds shown in the same picture are more
interesting than the ball cartridges. You don’t see dummy
rounds, usually, with that kind of bullet shape.

John Moss

1 Like

The do look somewhat like the Black Talons to me, more tapered but still showing the somewhat individual ‘petals’. Perhaps the sharper ojive, provides more initial penetration and the smaller hollow point does not ‘fill’ with clothing materials and hinder expansion of the lower-cut / longer petals?

Here is a close-up of the Winchester round:

1 Like

A comparison of Black Talon and Ranger-T cartridges. The XM1153 almost looks like a cross between the two.

talon_ranger2-1

There are at least three different Winchester commercial loads
that have this distinctive ogive and six-lobe nose configuration.
All the ones I have boxes for, so I am sure of the designation, are
as follows:

Winchester 9 mm Luger 147 Gr. SXT Index RA9SXN (an LE load
differing in external “look” only in the blackened bullet

Winchester Ranger 9 mm Luger 147 gr. JHP Index RA9T (another LE load)

Winchester Train & Defend 9 mm Luger 147 grain JHP Index W9MMD

I am not saying they are identical as one would have to have bullets pulled
from each, and well as a sectioned bullet for each load to see if they were
different or identical. I am also unsure of the bullet weight for the new military
loading. In my box collection, I did not find any bullets lighter than 147 grain
but my impression is that there are lighter bullets from Winchester with the
six-segment nose configuration. Of course they have others with eight-segment
noses with the rounded “lobes” as well.

It also needs to be noted that the index numbers being different could reflect on
other cartridge features (velocity, etc.) than simply the bullet configuration.

John Moss

1 Like

Of course nobody will know for sure all the facts until someone can get one and take it apart.

1 Like