New York City - best museum(s)

I wll be in New York in August for a few days, staying right in the centre just off Broadway. I will probably be able to scrape about a day to myself while my wife goes off to look at art galleries.
Can anyone recommend a museum or maybe two that would suit my interests ie ammo, guns, miliitary, Civil War or whatever?

If it were still there “Bannerman & Sons” 501 Broadway .Never visited their store which was a museum in it’s self,but bought a lot of “Stuff” from their catalogue when I was a teen-ager in the early to mid 50’s.
Jack

I’d take you to West Point Museum, if time allows. Send an e-mail to me.

usma.edu/directions/

Metropolitan Museum of Art has a fine arms and armor exhibit.
Holland & Holland has has a shop at 10 W 40th st near Bryant Park (Near the NY library)
Beretta has a shop @ 718 Madison Ave.
NYC is not a very firearms friendly city and finding even museums that display politically incorrect things like firearms and related items are few indeed.
Some marvelous gun shops out side the city.
Bannerman’s Island on the Hudson was open to tours but last year they shut down for renovations.

[quote=“Jackwells”]If it were still there “Bannerman & Sons” 501 Broadway .Never visited their store which was a museum in it’s self,but bought a lot of “Stuff” from their catalogue when I was a teen-ager in the early to mid 50’s.
Jack[/quote]

Francis (Frank) Bannerman and Sons sold out in 1959 to James Hogan and it moved to Blue Point Long Island in 1969. Its still there.

Bannermans business (Blue Point , LI) ceased to exist by the mid 1970’s. The Castle Arsenal on the Hudson had a major catastrophic collapse in the winter of 2009(ice storm combined with sub grade concrete and the fire did it in). Until last year tours were conducted of the island. New York State Parks and Recreation is the current owner of the island and it is uncertain if the state will allow access again. It remains a unique landmark that can be seen by commuters on the train in and out of NYC. I had the good fortune as a teenager in 1964 to visit the island with some noted collector/dealers that were purchasing or perusing the remaining rather decrepid inventory. Much of the contents of the old arsenal was sold for scrap. Brass/bronze was showing up at local scrap yards (Gatling gun parts and old bronze cannon tubes) In 1969 a suspicious fire gutted the castle and some out buildings. It was downhill from there.
You won’t be disappointed if you visit The Metropolitian Museum of Art.

The Metroplitan Museum is what I have earmarked on your advice. Thank you

How about the Intrepid Air-Space Museum? I have not been, but I am sure that Vlad has…
USMA would be an excellent choice if Vince’s interests are more19th-20th century. The Met has wonderful stuff, but it tends to be mostly armour and wheelocks and gold inlaid artistic treasures.

I don’t know how I neglected to include the Intrepid, a brain phart. An excellent way to spend the day. One of the Space Shuttles is soon to be on display there.

[quote=“VinceGreen”][quote=“Jackwells”]If it were still there “Bannerman & Sons” 501 Broadway .Never visited their store which was a museum in it’s self,but bought a lot of “Stuff” from their catalogue when I was a teen-ager in the early to mid 50’s.
Jack[/quote]

Francis (Frank) Bannerman and Sons sold out in 1959 to James Hogan and it moved to Blue Point Long Island in 1969. Its still there.[/quote]

Please be advised that Jim Hogan closed the shop years ago ! M. Rea

I was on the Intrepid the 1st day it opened. The deck was mostly empty, there was an old helicopter there. It just got towed from the South and there was a fire onboard while they were at sea. It was being re-painted by a bunch of old ex-Intrepid sailor volunteers, they walked me around and told me WWII stories. I remember the kamikase story and how it almost sank. It was very interesting.