Newby Question about SLICS ($ )

I just sent off my application and funds to join IAA via mail since I don’t do PAYPAL. My question is?
I see nothing about cost for attending SLICS.
I have reservations at the hotel and will be there starting Wed afternoon?
How and when do you pay how much for access to the show and the various other events that happen?
Thanks in advance,
Smitty Smith (munitionguy)

Not sure what the suggested door donation is, but not much. There is no fee for the activites, but you must purchase tickets for the big dinner. Make sure you do the pre-show room crawl, lots of great items never even make it to the show floor. Oh…bring lots of money, comfortable shoes, and don’t forget to eat.

Smitty

Look us all up at the show...we love “newbies” as us oldsters love the enthusiasm someone like yourself can bring to a room full of cartridge treasures!

The SLICS is free to IAA members (and other cartridge club members)

Go up to the top right of the opening page of this Forum

IAA Main Page • FAQ • Search • Members • Logout

And go to the IAA Main page…look down the left and side and go to
“St. Louis International Cartridge Show March 31- April 3, 2010”

There is all your info about the show

The only thing that will require a “fee” is the Friday night banquet dinner. Should you wish to skip the fellowship of the dinner that is your choice, as the auction that follows is free to attend.

The Thursday night seminars are free…and all the hours of cartridge fellowship, untapped knowledge and the touching of very fine rounds are free…the the drawback is that there is a “take home fee” for most of the cartridges (but do not be surprised if a “newbie” is gifted some “freebies” !!

Welcome

Pepper Burruss
IAA President

Pepper,
Thank you for your answer. As a lark, I went to the cartridge show in Lancaster, PA last August. It was amazing and met a lot of interesting people. I spent all my money, my wifes money and was leaning into my daughter’s money as well. (ATM fixed that later.) I have been watching the board for more SLICs info but never really saw anything about the costs. I have a good friend, my brother and his son coming to their first cartridge show at SLICs, where upon this will be my (now) second cartridge show. We will introduce ourselves when we see you.
Hold for laugh…
I thought I wanted to just get one of all the cartridges so as to have a collection. Then I saw there were millions…
Ok, you can now laugh at me…
The guy at the first table explained to me he only collected .308 but had 3500 of them. Wow. He suggested to get a plan before going.
Hmm. I still don’t have a plan but seem to like them all.
I continually see stuff I had NEVER heard of before. Thanks to all of you for sharing. It certainly was not a commercial gun show mentality.
We are all very excited and looking forward to it.
Smitty (munitionguy)

Be careful about your offer. My nephew Misha likes everything and will take all the free stuff he can get. Not that we won’t either but we are not greedy. :)

[quote=“Pepper”]Smitty

Look us all up at the show...we love “newbies” as us oldsters love the enthusiasm someone like yourself can bring to a room full of cartridge treasures!

The SLICS is free to IAA members (and other cartridge club members)

Go up to the top right of the opening page of this Forum

IAA Main Page • FAQ • Search • Members • Logout

And go to the IAA Main page…look down the left and side and go to
“St. Louis International Cartridge Show March 31- April 3, 2010”

There is all your info about the show

The only thing that will require a “fee” is the Friday night banquet dinner. Should you wish to skip the fellowship of the dinner that is your choice, as the auction that follows is free to attend.

The Thursday night seminars are free…and all the hours of cartridge fellowship, untapped knowledge and the touching of very fine rounds are free…the the drawback is that there is a “take home fee” for most of the cartridges (but do not be surprised if a “newbie” is gifted some “freebies” !!

Welcome

Pepper Burruss
IAA President[/quote]

Smitty
As has already been covered, except for the banquet (IIRC $25/person), the only thing you have to pay for is the cartridges you buy and groceries.
As of right now, I’ll be showing up Wed morning, along with Ron Merchant and Zac Weighman (Cartguy)

PS, wear your Teflon chin cup the first time you walk into the show, it will greatly cut down on the rug burn (ya, your jaw will drop that far) grin

Speaking of seminars, what are the subjects being presented this year?

DK,

I’ll let Paul Smith, IAA Research Committee Chairman, publicize the rest of the Seminar shhedule, but I can tell you that after the intermission, I’ll be the final presenter of the evening. My presentation title is “MBA Gyrojets and Other Ordnance,” which is also the title of my new 414-page book. After about ten years of research, I finally finished it except for final editing. It will be published this year, and I’ll have review copies available at the show.

If you are not a “Gyrojet” collector when the seminar begins Thursday evening, you will be when it ends because I have made up “goodie bags” full of neat Gyrojet (and other ordnance) stuff that each person attending will receive free. After several visits and interviews with Robert Mainhardt (the “M” in MBA) I had accumulated tons of extra things, including neat cases, launchers, etc., and these will be in the “goodie bags.”

I’ll also have a Gyrojet display, and my goal is to win Engel’s 50 $2 bills, which ought to buy a couple of rounds for everybody at the bar later. Mel Carpenter

Thanks Mel and Matt - I’ve started a new post for the seminar.
I sure am looking forward to this year’s show.
Paul

[quote=“Mel”]DK,
My presentation title is “MBA Gyrojets and Other Ordnance,” which is also the title of my new 414-page book.

I have made up “goodie bags” full of neat Gyrojet (and other ordnance) stuff that each person attending will receive free

I’ll also have a Gyrojet display, and my goal is to win Engel’s 50 $2 bills, which ought to buy a couple of rounds for everybody at the bar later. Mel Carpenter[/quote]

Awesome, Awesome, and Awesome! Can’t wait, although you will have to beat my pistol-caliber penetrators display to get the $2 bills. Based on the thoroughness of your description you’ll probably have no problem doing that. I strive for at least a strong second place, unless Pepper is doing a display… I too will have some free hand-outs; at my display.

Table numbers - TBA

Matt

My wife will kill me if I start collecting MORE stuff! I got my early cartridges, and early guns…if I start collecting gyrojets and modern pistol cartridges I may need to find a new place to live! (anyone got an extra bedroom?) I better stay away from these freebies! grin

On 2nd thought… as long as none of you all TELL her…how would she know??? =)

This will also be my first SLICS, am am definitely looking forward to it.

DK

Fret not about a “Pepper Display” in the main hall this year…instead…I have a 52’ semi trailer with mobile side walls and will park it in the lot (Vic couldn’t afford me 16 tables !!!)

Just kidding !!..my display days are on hiatus (but I have a few planned for and up my sleeve for years to come)… I think it may be time for “Special Purpose Cartridges” to rear its head again.

It is super exciting to think of these high quality displays and the seminars (with freebies!) to boot.

Unless these become the standard operating procedure…the “newbie’s” will be sorely disappointed in coming years !

‘Counting the days…

Pepper

The first time is always special. Bring some jerky or other food stuffs, money shouldn’t be wasted on such things. I remember one first timer in our carpool to St Louis had to borrow 30 cents so he could buy a MacDonalds burger on the way home.

For my first 15 years I put on blinders and concentrated on 9x19s only. I now have over 10,000 of the critters and collect many many other fields.

Stop by and introduce yourself, visit my display of Early Shotgun Concentrators and Spreaders and get my newly released book on them. They are the perfect accoutrament to early high quality shotguns.

I think this will be my 10th or 11th year of displaying at St Louis. It is always fun to display, I have never failed to learn or add something because of the display. If Mel wins some of those $2 bills from Vic, I advise him to count them. I love to tease Vic over the short count I received for one of my displays.

Shop around for prices, they vary a lot. Condition matters. Cartridge prices are not standarized. Visit the bin sales, there are a lot of great cartridges at pretty reasonable prices. Have fun and make a lot of contacts. I will bet you come back, that is unless your wife finds out what you spent or sees how much you brought back. I hate it when they just groan.

Who might be selling WWI French “D” cartridges with the segmented head stamp at the SLICS? George

George–I suspect there will be quite a few dealers with that type of cartridge. It is a relatively common cartridge.

A trip to SLICS is something you will never forget. But I don’t think you can bring enough money to SLICS. I always run out. You will meet some of the greatest guys and gals there. People who love to help each other out and are just fun to be around. If you don’t already have a copy of the silent auction items and lot numbers I could scan and email you a copy of mine if you can get me your email addy. There is an early bird silent auction on Wednesday afternoon. There will also be 2 silent auctions on April 1st. One of which is a IAA donation/benifit auction. Then there will be one more silent auction on April 2nd. There will also be in room trading and sales going on during the week before the official show starts that should not be missed. The people are great and you will see some unbelievable stuff. Did I mention you can’t bring enough money?
See ya there.
Zac

[quote=“cartguy”] But I don’t think you can bring enough money to SLICS. Did I mention you can’t bring enough money?
[/quote]

[color=#FF0040]DITTO[/color]