Nice 7.63 mauser box

it is for leon beaux milano
they are on clips
jp

Do we know the headstamp?

JP - Beautiful box. Never seen it before. Thanks for posting!

John Moss

hello Carlo !
the box is from september 1900
jp

great Jeanpierre
but I think these cartridges were produced in Milan and marketed by SFM
I belive if they were to Italy would be written in Italian

Carlo

No Carlo
Manufactured in France for Leon Beaux
And in 1900 i do not think LB can manufacture such ctges
jp

Bonjour JP
l’usine de Baranzate a été ouvert en 1895… dans cinq ans, ne peuvent-ils pas construire une cartouche aussi populaire?
SFM déjà construites cartouches avec le marquage SFM GG pourquoi le changer?
est plus susceptible que SFM aider sa sœur LBC en achetant les cartouches qu’elle produit au lieu de les faire acheter les siennes
si tu a des documents qui prouvent ta théorie, bien, donc nous modifions tous les chapitres du livre où nous parlons de cartouches italiennes avec la marque LBC M où M est pour Milan

ciao
Carlo

English/Google translation of Carlo’s post.

Hello JP
the Baranzate factory was opened in 1895 … in five years, can not they build such a popular cartridge?
SFM already built cartridges with marking SFM GG why change it?
is more likely than SFM to help her sister LBC by buying the cartridges she produces instead of having them buy her own
if you have documents that prove your theory, well, so we change all the chapters of the book where we talk about Italian cartridges with the brand LBC M where M is for Milan

ciao
Carlo

hi Carlo

1. At the beginning when it started it was not Leon Beaux but SFIM.
    And they used to sell mostly shotsgun shells.

After that most of the primers and rf ctges (or components) were made by sfm and sent to italy.(I have the drawings but no time to make a compilation of the dates to see when it stopped)

After Leon Beaux expanded the production but a lot of ctges were still coming from France and this even after WWI
It is because of that you can find a lot of Leon Beaux boxes with inside ctges with SFM hstp.

If you check the LB catalogues you will see that even after wwi most of the outside primer ctges bear the sfm hstp (the inside primer ones have the Beaux hstp because it is a different technology easier to manufacture)

For info the last time i have for SFIM is 1896 and the first time i have for Leon Beaux & Co is 1898;
the box is dated 1901.

1. you said : “SFM already built cartridges with marking SFM GG why change it?”
    I never said sfm changed the hstp. They did not change.
    Why do you say that ?
    It is because you think the ctges inside the box have LBC hstp ?
    Even if the ctges have LBC hstp it does not mean sfm changed their hstp.

2. you said : “is more likely than SFM to help her sister LBC by buying the cartridges she produces instead of having them buy her own”

Do you really think SFM will buy ctges from outside the country when they have already a production of these ctges in France ?
I do not think so.
And their plant was a lot more big and better equiped than LB plant

1. you said :
    “so we change all the chapters of the book where we talk about Italian cartridges with the brand LBC M where M is for Milan”

??? of course M is for Milano !
I do not understand.
It is not related with the fact the ctges inside the box have or not a LBC hstp !
If you have ctges with LBC hstp they are from Leon Beaux

1. I sent you already a lot of info about leon Beaux for your book.
    But perhaps you have some info I do not have ?

For example I am always looking for catalogues or advertisings before WWI.

JP

Hallo JP

this is a standard SFM label, the contained cartridges have the headstamp of the following photo

63659691_39332962

this is the label you posted

I didn’t see the cartridges but I think they have a headstamp like this, look in the red circle

30_Mauser_LBCM

we recall that SFIM Società Franco-Italiana Munizioni after Léon Beaux & C was an Italian company with entirely French share capital (SFM) so SFM bought cartridges from itself

all images come from the IAA forum

Lew thanks for the translation

Carlo

1 Like

Carlo

Of course I saw the label in circle.
It is because of that I know they were for Leon Beaux and I made this topic.

I do not know what is inside the box.

I think it is sfm hstp;
You think it is LBC M.

Waiting to see if somebody has a box with ctges inside.

And if you think SFM bought ctges from LB to sell them under the name SFM why not.

But i do not agree. I think it is the opposite.

JP

JP

To carry on about 7.63 boxes from SFM here is the run they made in september 1900

and here is an interesting box of soft point bullet ctges (jannuary 1904)

For the ones collecting box here are some labels which occur a lot later
(“chasse, tir & guerre” missing regarding the labels of 1900)

And after they change again (white label instead of yellow one)

JP

2 Likes

Not what I collect, but wow, nice boxes!

Thanks to be interested
JP

Sorry for being ignorant, but what does the N.-D. in rue … des Victoires stand for?

Edit: Notre Dame?

yes
Notre Dame
jp