Nice box and shells

Picked this up at OGCA show this weekend. This was some of the 1st Power Piston loads and the only paper shells I am aware of that they loaded with these wads. Really nice box and 3 shells for a song.

Shotmeister–This load was first introduced in 1964. They were available in either Plastic or Paper. The paper hulls were only available in 1964 & 1965. The 1966 catalog lists only plastic cases.

Thanks Ron. I had that info on my PC, thanks to your generous publication of the catalogs, but I am working from a lap top as I travel. I knew the dates were in the early 60’s but my limited gray matter does not allow for to much data storage… or retrieval when needed.
I like what I have and I would not have recognized it had I not studied the early 60’s Remington stuff you all posted.

For those like Jason, I was at the USAF museum yesterday and will be on the USS COD in Cleveland in a few hours. Gonna go see me some torpedoes!

My laptop died but I am home now with the PC and I looked at the Remington catalogs. As shown in the page Ron shows above (1964 Retail) the box I have is listed (STP12M-7 1/2) but the next year, the STP12M was only offered in #8 shot. So that narrows it to one years production. I like it even more.

I first started shooting clay birds in 1964 and remember shooting those exact Remington paper shells. That was before I started reloading, which came a little later. Back in those days, Remington cases used a smaller diameter primer than Winchester and Federal, and those primers were available but harder to find. I had a lot of Remington empty cases at the time, and a friend taught me a reloading trick. Deprime the Remington case, and force an empty primer of larger size into the Remington pocket to enlarge it. Then you can thereafter use one primer size for reloading all shells. I sort of remember the Remington base wad material was somewhat crumbly and flimsy at that time, and it would fall out in pieces. I didn’t like those Remington shells for reloading.

I also remember that the Winchester factory paper-cased trap and skeet loads of the same time period used a plastic wrapper around the shot column, not a uniwad. Federal paper cases had just bare unprotected shot. But Federal factory loads were cheaper.

Interesting Dennis. The plastic “collar” you mention in the Winchester shell was the Mark 5 shot collar introduced by W-W in 1962. They were something of a pain to use for the reloader but when Remington came out with the one-piece wad, “POWER PISTON”, a year later, they were far more popular as a component for the reloader. They also loaded the paper shells with what they called an “H” wad, a over-the-powder wad that reportedly sealed the gas better but the shot in these loads were unprotected. By 1966 Remington was offering a “POST” wad, a POWER PISTON with a post in the center, and promoted this for 16 yard Trap. Interestingly, the shells in my photo are headstamped Shur Shot but by 1966 their target loads, in 12 ga, were marked REMINGTON-PETERS and with a lower cup height.

Great memories of that time. I started shotshell reloading about 1965, and did all sorts of strange things, such as adjusting shot space with wads of toilet paper, newspaper, etc. so the shells would crimp OK. It was like confetti on New Years Eve at every shot. It took a while before I started using the one-piece plastic shot protector wads, and I think I still have a box or two of the old Alcan fiber wads and plastic gas seals around. My early shotshell reloading efforts used the old Lee Loader, and that worked well only with paper cases, as it wouldn’t do much of a crimping job with plastic cases. So I used paper cases for years after they were obsolete as I had a big supply of them. If you were lucky, you might get three loadings before burn-through.