Nice photo from the Olympics

just stumbled on this one

paste in this link

m43photography.tumblr.com/tagged/skeet

Pepper

Awesome!

Great shot! That shotgun has your initials on it backwards :-)

J

That is likely an advertising shot for the firm of Baschieri&Pellagri, Via del Frullo 26, 40055 Marano de Castenaso, Bologna, Italy. The sheels appear to be their MB Superstar. a 12 gauge 2-3/4 inch (70 mm) competition load available loaded with 7, 7-1/2 or 8 shot(555 grains).

I suspect the photograph is digitally enhanced. Seems to be too much smoke unless the guy holding the shotgun is “the fastest gun opener alive” or these shells are really smoky. Also I have to wonder about the “B&P” on the stock.

Still, a very nice photograph.

Ennio is a Baschieri & Pellagri endorser, so he has the “B&P” logo on the stock

Pivi-That answers the B&P on the stock. The smoke seems way too much for me, especially for quality ammunition. In our sport of Cowboy action shooting, all emphasis is on speed, and guys open double shotguns with, in some cases, incredible speed, and I don’t recall ever seeing this much smoke emit from the chambers. We use standard trap and skeet loads, brands and dram level of our choice. I use heavy trap loads, and never get this kind of smoke either from the chambers of my doubles, or coming from the 97 Winchester pump shotguns’ ejection ports. I work the doubles pretty slow for a CAS shooter - I am not fast with any of the guns - but I am pretty fast with the pump. All are operated quicker than any trap or skeet shooter would need to.

The smoke made such a beautiful picture; that’s why I felt it might be enhanced.

It was reportedly damp & cold at some of the outdoor events. Maybe this made for the otherwise unseen hot gasses / smoke to be made more visible?

That is certainly possible I guess, although here in Central California (SF Bay Area) it is often cold and damp at our shoots, and again, I don’t recall ever seeing anything like this. Who knows? It is not important anyway - it was simply an observation. It is a beautiful picture regardless of how it was made.

I have a few times, at training shoots on our local range (2 feet below sea level) on very cold mornings, seen both fairly large amounts of smoke plus the shockwave from the projectile condensing rings all the way out to the target at 300 meters. All with standard Norma GT cartridges fired in a swedish Mauser.
Must be the weather. Maybe the residual carbon monoxide and hydrogen combustion outside the barrel makes a bit of visible steam.
Soren

I think the smoke is simply contrasting against the black background making it stand out more than it would otherwise. Added to that could be a simple photo edit adjusting the contrast.
Also some of the smoke/gas would dissipate very quickly and not be very visible to the human eye but would be ‘frozen’ in a high shutter speed photo like this.