No more Fiocchi Tundra 9mm Monobloc?

I had been waiting and waiting for MidwayUSA to get the 9mm Fiocchi Monobloc in stock for the past 6 months ever since they started listing it on their site. They showed it as being available soon and the date kept getting pushed back until July. Finally last week the status was changed to “staging”, which I thought would mean “here soon”, but nope. They have deleted the catalog entry and their customer service guy says that the Tundra line is all out of stock (all the 12ga stuff), and that they expect no Monobloc 9mm. The stock number was 249242, but it doesn’t even register. Anybody know if Fiocchi is bothering with making this anymore, or just not exporting to the U.S.?

I have the 2010 Commercial Catalog, as well as a single broadsheet on the 9 x 19 mm made for military and police sales. The round you show is not on the police broadsheet, but may be on the commercial list. It may be the EMB load. I can’t tell. From the 14 listed 9 mm loads (yes - fourteen!) they picture only nine.

Military and police loads are as follows (No Factory Index or Product Numbers are shown):

9 mm NATO Ball 115 grains
9 x 19 mm FMC 115 grain leadless
9 x 19 mm PRN 82 grains (this is the Frangible with the reduced diameter tip and a shoulder on the bullet jacket).
9 x 19 mm SJPRN 89 grains (this is a leadfree semijacket bullet with core in compound material)
9 x 19 mm Subsonic FMJ 158 grains
9 x 19 mm AP 97 grains (ber point bullet with a very tiny exposed steel cored at the tip)
9 x 19 mm APC 103 grains the description shows “ACP” but the picture shows the appellation “APC” and judging from the 97 grain load’s designation, I suspect “APC” is correct. This is a truncate bullet with flat nose with core exposed at the tip)

The commercial catalog shows the following (with index numbers):

9 EMB 9 mm Luger 100 Grain Expansion Mono-bloc (POSSIBLY THE ONE YOU PICTURE)
9XTP 9 mm Luger 115 grain Hornady XTP HP
9XTPB 9 mm Luger 147 grain Hornady XTP HP
9XTPC 9 mm Luger 124 grain Hornady XTP HP
9SFNT 9 mm Luger 100 Grain Frangible
9AP 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ
9APB 9mm Luger 124 grain FMJ
9APB HP 9 mm Luger 124 grain JHP
9APC 9 mm Luger 124 grain FMJTC
9APD 9 mm Luger 147 grain FMJ
9APE 9 mm Luger 158 grain Subsonic
9APHP 9 mm Luger 155 grain JHP
9APDHP 9 mm Luger 147 grain JHP
TCEB123 9 mm Luger 123 grain TC-Enclosed base, leadless primer

I hope this is of some help in answering your question. I think the load you show in your picture is the EMB, which was originally an Austrian (Hirtenberger) design. It looks a little different inside the HP than I remember, but then, I have said before, I can no longer keep up in information, acquisition or even memory with all the loads coming out. The above two lists are representative of the myriad of loads in 9mm Para and other calibers that each and every big and little manufacturer seems to be coming out with now.

John Moss

Apparently it is now available in many places as of the past week. It is now part of the Extrema line and can be found at several websites like Able ammo and palmetto state armory, etc… The best deal I found was here: http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/Fiocchi_9EMB_9MM_100_EMB_50_10_9EMB_p/63057.htm

Hi, I have nothing against using my copyrighted pictures, but at least, you should mention the source. As you have done this to some other Members of the ECRA (pictures from the tables of Mr.Peschke on other 9mm Lugers), I do not feel happy with that at all.

It its good practice, to give people the real source of the pictures or text, taken from other books, catalogues or copyrighted material.
Our minister of defence had just to go, for not complying with this rules…
Even the copyright regulations in the US allowing only 10% of a publication cited, but only if the source of the information is given. This is not the case here…
Forensic

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]I had been waiting and waiting for MidwayUSA to get the 9mm Fiocchi Monobloc in stock for the past 6 months ever since they started listing it on their site. They showed it as being available soon and the date kept getting pushed back until July. Finally last week the status was changed to “staging”, which I thought would mean “here soon”, but nope. They have deleted the catalog entry and their customer service guy says that the Tundra line is all out of stock (all the 12ga stuff), and that they expect no Monobloc 9mm. The stock number was 249242, but it doesn’t even register. Anybody know if Fiocchi is bothering with making this anymore, or just not exporting to the U.S.?

[/quote]

Forensic - I do mention where photos or links come from when I know where the pictures come from (as I did recently with a pic from Tony Williams website in the thread about Israeli tanks), and if I know who the person is then I try to contact them. As is the case with so many photos, I found this photo (yours) from a random Google search on the internet here: http://www.afte.org/forum/smf1/index.php?topic=1618.0 with no citation other than a user screen-name as to whom it originated with (I had no way of contacting anyone to see who you were). I have also found photos of mine all over the web as other gun forum users (not IAA) copy them from one place to another, sometimes copying the link location, and sometimes saving them and re-hosting them with a new link. Sometimes they even crop and edit the photo to that end making it a new file. Personally, I came to figure that once I put any photo of mine on the internet, it would be copied endlessly regardless of my efforts, and as long as it was an honest usage as far as reference material for collectors or asking a question about it then I didn’t usually care. But again I do apologize.

Accepted, but my posting at AFTE gaves my full adress below the pictures…
as you can still see at the site…
The photos from Mr. Peschke are not from the net…they are printed on big show tables, what costs him quit a lot of money to do so. May you contact him, as he found his pictures in a publication from you, or something like that…
All my best
PP Forensic Service, Wellen, Germany

Matt and John Moss, the box of Fiocchi Extrema EMB that I have states the bullet weight is 92 grains, not 100 grains. All the photos I’ve seen of the Fiocchi Extrema EMB also state 92 grains. Is there a new EMB loading using a 100 grain EMB?

Leon - My list was taken from the 2010 catalog and shows the bullet weight of 9EMB as 100 grains. It also shows the loading as “New!” At the time I wrote that, I did not yet have the 2011 catalog, nor a box for these rounds. You have made me revisit the subject, which is good. The 2011 Catalog shows the 9EMB round’s bullet weight, as you say, at 92 Grains. I don’t know if this represents simply a correction to the catalog, or whether the bullet was actually changed. The box, which I acquired at SLICS but didn’t pick up until the Reno show, where all my ammo from SLICS was delivered to me, also shows the bullet weight at 92 grains.

It is interesting that the Fiocchi version of the Expansion Monobloc Bullet, developed by Hirtenberg, is 92 grains. The only Hirtenberg box I have for their original version of the EMB shows a bullet weight 0f 5.0 grams (77 grains).

I might as well use this to ask a question that has been in the back of my mind. The title of this thread refers to the cartridge as the Fiocchi “Tundra” 9 mm Monobloc. Can anyone tell me the genesis of this use of the word “Tundra?” Fiocchi does not use this term in the two catalogs in which the EMB cartridge appears, and the box shows this round as part of Fiocchi’s “Extrema” line of ammunition. My Hirtenberger box does not show the word “Tundra” either, nor do the intials “EMB,” the original and continuing designation of the projectile.

I just wondered about this. I am sure it came from somewhere, but I don’t know where, and would be interested to find out.

John - the use of the “Tundra” designation for this load came originally from me when I had noticed a couple years ago that MidwayUSA had the item listed as “here soon” and the title showed as Fiocchi Tundra 9mm monobloc. They then of course removed that listing and later Fiocchi came out with it as part of the Extrema line late last year, and then everybody was selling it.

Thank you, DK. That answers it. It appears it was a tentative name from Fiocchi that they decided against using, since it doesn’t appear in any of their catalogs or broadsheets. I can’t see Midway applying a name like that on their own. They probably got it from Fiocchi.

Fiocchi’s Tundra line is primarily shotgun shells and I think I’ve seen some rifle calibers boxed under the Tundra line.

Leon - thanks. I’ll look at those sections of my catalogs. I’ll readily admit that when I get a catalog these days, unlike in the past, I don’t hardly even glance at anything other than the auto pistol rounds. I study that part, figuring if I need the rifle and shotgun info later, I can always look it up.