No shipments to africa

DUE TO LOSS IN SHIPMENT BY MAIL I WILL NO LONGER SHIP ANYTHING TO AFRICA. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER ANY CSA PRODUCTS. THANK YOU.

I have had mixed fortunes sending items to South Africa. Some of them have disappeared (nothing really valuable though). Sometimes the items were delayed. I don’t recall customs ever confiscating anything though. Strangely enough, some really valuable items made it through uninsured.

However, the corruption in the South African postal service is legendary. There was a news story a few years ago where a particular sorting room was secretly filmed, and several postal workers were filmed opening packets and stealing things from them. When the case went to court the tapes were thrown out because the workers complained that being filmed like that was an infringement of their human rights.

Packages to and from the States (from London): mixed experiences. I’ve ordered a few packets of bullets and they have been opened by Her Majesty’s Customs, but the items have been forwarded on to me. Two packages from the US never made it to me (T-shirts, candies etc from family). One packet I sent from here to Colorado didn’t make it (similar stuff) and several packets have been opened by US customs and items confiscated. Tip: don’t send Bovril to the US, they’ll have it destroyed. They’ll let Marmite and Vegemite through though. It is because of the beef in the extract.
In another amazing incident, a parcel with two newspapers and two candy bars never got to my folks in Colorado and I assumed it was lost. One year later the parcel arrived back here in London. It was so beat up, I was surprised the ‘from’ address was still legible. The chocolate bars were totally crushed and the newspapers were stained by a mixture of chocolate crumbs and a curious kind of mold. But everything was still in the parcel.
Of course by then the candy was out of date and the newspapers were old news ;)

I have sent reference materials and CDs all over this planet. The only place where they have not been delivered is AFRICA.

Sounds like a case for Mulder and Scully ;)

I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E.

dsgfg

I have never lost anything going to or from Russia just AFRICA.

Has anyone ever gone to one of the auctions where USPS sells all of the packages that were “lost”? They’re in Atlanta or somewhere in the South, aren’t they?

Ray

Ray, do you mean they auction-off packages that have legible forward or return addresses!?!?!?!?

Jon

I don’t know. That’s one of the reasons I was asking if anyone had been to one.

I recently had a package of cartridges (sub-caliber adaptors) get “lost” in the mail. I asked one of the local USPS guys if I should ever expect to see it. He told me, “Yeah, right!” He said once they are misplaced or get off track they will be sent to this big facility where attempts will be made to get it back into the system (Yeah, right). After one year they are auctioned off. Apparantly the attitude is that’s it’s cheaper to pay the insurance claim that it is to try to get the package to the addressee.

He said there are thousands of these “lost” packages and it’s hard to believe that so many labels can be torn off.

I think this is one of those things where the Govt should step in and fix the problem. Oh, wait . . .

Ray