Nobel Industries Ltd. Cartridge Board

This post is really for John Moss, but it’s so interesting, showing all the steps in manufacturing these shotgun cartridges, I decided to show everybody. It’s on auction, which closes in three days, at Morphy’s, https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/NOBEL_INDUSTRIES_LTD__CARTRIDGE_BOARD_-LOT467421.aspx The John Moss connection is that the lot provenance states that the board is from the collection of Nathan Posner, former owner of the San Francisco Gun Exchange. John worked for Posner for years there and wound up running the place, and he has some great stories about the very high level of honesty and integrity Posner had in all his dealings. I wonder if John saw this board hanging on the wall each morning when he came to work and wondered if someday, it might be his. Well, if he acts fast, it can be.

5 Likes

Mel - firstly, let me correct something. I did NOT end up running the S.F. Gun Exchange. My title was manager, and as such I did a lot of book work etc., and occasionally made some minor decisions, so I helped to run the Gun Exchange at an appropriate level for a non-owner of a family-owned business. When my original employer, Nathan Posner, passed away, his son and daughter, Robert and Elizabeth, became the owners and made all important decisions and basically, ere the bosses. They were youngsters when I went to work for their dad, and when they helped out at the store, they would always do what I asked. Because of that, when they became the owners, I had no problems in taking their orders and requests. They were good people to work for, and the store was run in such a way, in my opinion, to be something to be proud of.

Yes, I remember that board very well, not only because of its interesting content, but also its fine condition. As to owning it? If someone gave it to me I certainly would try to display it and I would enjoy it, but in light of what I collect, it is not something of importance to me and, frankly, I am out of wall space in my hobby room anyway.

Whoever ends up with it will have a beautiful board to be proud of though.

Mel - “Thanks for the memories,” to quote Bob Hope. It was fun seeing the picture of it. I hope it is being sold by the Posner family. A lot of the boards, most all of them, were loaned to Cody Museum. When I visited the museum, I was a little disappointed that they were in a room downstairs, although display, and that not all the boards loaned to them, to my knowledge, were on display at all.

I hope if it is the Museum selling them, that it is with the full approval of Bob and Beth Posner.

John M.

4 Likes

John, nice story, thanks for sharing.

Another picture of the same board taken in 1966 and an extra from 1973 (both published in Gun Report).

Saludos,

Fede

2 Likes

Fede - those bring back memories too. I took those pictures, along with my dear friend and colleague Mike Carrick, who is well known in Argentina, I believe, from his various hunting trips down there, and sent those in to “Gun Report.” I had forgotten about that. We had one of the employees stand next to the one board for size comparison. He was about my height, 5’9".

Happy days. Now you know I am getting old when I refer to the “good old days,” but they were - better times by almost any standard, except perhaps technical advances, than now.

John

Well, the board sold for $2,048, too low in my opinion. But … it was a well-advertised, public auction so that’s what it’s worth, at least in November 2020.

Wow! I bought my Eley board, with something like 75 cartridge items on it, for 350.00 some years ago. Only bought it because it had some of earlier auto pistol cartridges on it - nothing super like Mars rounds or the like. Still with the original frame. There was one in the SFGE collection. Don’t know if it went to Cody or not, or if it was in the group recently for sale.

I can’t keep pace with the prices this stuff brings now. That was a pretty small board, although in lovely condition.

I will add to your statement: "…so that’s what it’s worth, at least in November 2020, to one person. It would be interesting to know how many bid on it, because it wasn’t worth that price to the other bidders.

If it was the family that sold it, then I am happy it brought that, however, because that’s still a nice chunk of change!

John

John; There were four bids, which might have been between two, three, or four bidders. The estimate for the lot was $2,000 - $3,000.

For whatever it’s worth I’d think the low price was because it was not a product board but a how-to board. No one but a bullet collector wants a board like that

A board somewhat similar to this but by Eley, was what attracted my eye when walking in the streets in London & made me go in to Wilkes to see if they had bullets for sale.

Which ended up with life long friends & my doing something only one other person in the world has done. That was working (at the time) for a British Gun & Rifle maker & not being British. The trade was closed to all but the British. I had to go down to a government office with Tom Wilkes (brother of John) & he had to provide reason why they wanted to hire me & it was an apprentice position a that could not be filled by an Englishman. it was then approved & my passport was stamped.

Qualifies for cool?

1 Like

Pete; Yes, way cool. But there must be much more to the story. How long did you work there? When? What did you do? Why, when, did you leave?

1967-68, not long enough, learned how to clean & dissemble a gun, finish a stock, some other things like run a file. (We are talking good / best guns Westley’s Purdey’s, & others)
Left because my father was ill, but by the time I’d made arrangements to come home he recovered, & I figured it was about time.