Nomenclature for .17 HMR round

What is the proper nomenclature for this type of round? I have one in .17 HMR and .17 M2.

.17 HMR overall

Headstamp of above cartridge.

Thanks.

Chris.

The .17 M2 and the .17 HMR are two different cartridges. The .17 M2 is a .22 LR case necked down to .17 caliber and the .17 HMR is a .22 WMR necked down. There is also a third one, .17 Agulia, which, I believe, is a Stinger case necked to .17 Caliber.

Thanks Ron. I knew the difference between the cartridge. Specifically, I meant what is this type cartridge? It’s turned aluminum and I was told it was made in a small machine shop, possibly for Ruger. Is it a dummy round, headspace gauge? I picked up a brass .17 HMR today that has a spiral groove cut around it. I was told it’s just a dummy round.
Thanks.

Chris - your brass dummy with the spiral was made by Proffitt’s Machining, Inc. of Greenback, Tennessee.

I doubt they would make a headspace gauge out of aluminum. That material also doesn’t make very good functioning dummies. They get chewed up too quick feeding them from a magazine. I suspect it might be a box-maker’s dummy - that is, dummies made up for box makers so they can insure a proper fit of the required number of cartridges to the required packaging. It is just a guess. However, such items do exist. I have a couple from Switzerland, and as I recall, one from France as well.

If not that, my next guess would be that it was simply made by someone to sell to collectors. They are around - I think I have one in my odds and ends drawer, and I don’t even collect the .17 rimfires (or any other rimfire, other than .22s made in the DDR).

Chris: I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you wanted to know if the pictured round should be called a .17 HMR or a .17 M2. I mistakenly thought you thought that both terms referred to the same cartridge and you wanted to know which was the official name. Sorry for the mistake.

No worries Ron.