Non-lethal ammo from Kazakhstan

From AlmaDK

1 Like

What kind of projectiles do the 7,62x51 and x54R use?
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ole

There are two options for bullets - rubber and plastic. Perhaps - it is plastic, and maybe painted rubber.

1 Like

Very nice!
It seems Kazakhstan is really developing an arms industry in recent years.
Lots of it is licences from Russia and some western countries.

The short-range types shown above are quite different from those shown in the linked catalog, which more closely resemble, in the pistol calibers, the Bulgarian short-range rounds.

I note the word “MAKET” in the upper right corner of the ammo cards. I assume that has the same meaning as for guns - dummy, or deactivated (items of the same “mass” but no longer usable as weapons)?

Interesting stuff!

Thanks to all involved for posting.

John Moss

John, “MAKET” just means dummy, or as it would be here “inert”.
The official Russian meaning of the word is “mockup”.
Sure a measure to make sure noone gets it wrong.
Most likely explained by a mix of inexperienced staff organizing, local legislation and little experience with international shows. And as so often to avoid morons in customs, LE and dogooders.

But why do you mention Bulgaria here?
These are just solid rubber bullets.
And if I am not mistaken it was also not Bulgaria inventing bean bags in pistol calibers or?

hello
the bullet on 5.45 look larger
but it fired like a squeeze projectile ?

Seems so.

This company introduced a less lethal 7.62x39 cartridge during 2017, but was entirely made of white plastic.

“Maket”…another Russian adoption from French, at least from 18th Cent.
“Maquette” is French for a
“mock up” ( also derived from French) for a replica or made up non-functional item, usually from Theatrical Props.
(See Maquillage= make-up).
French being the “educated language” of the Russian upper-classes, many French words for which there was no suitable native Russian equivalents, with suitable spelling modification to the Cyrillic usage, were absorbed into common Russian usage.

Doc AV

Interestingly their website is showing more and different variants:

http://www.almadk.kz/en/catalog/844-patrony/

EOD - that is the website I was referring too. I guess I was just going by the appearance of the cartridges on the website when I mentioned Bulgaria. They look much like the Bulgarian ones. Silly of me to even say that - what they look like and what they are are two different things, with the former pretty irrelevant.

I think once again we are on semantics. My definition of “Maket” was pretty much what others said here. I was just interested in the “word” since it appears in conjunction with deactivated firearms in Russia, as well, including demilitarized, non-firing Makarov pistols. They are often marked with the Cyrillic initials for “MMG PM” which stand for (transliterated to our alphabet) “Maket Masso-Gabaritny, Pistolet Makarova” (Mass Dimensions Mockup, Makarov Pistol) indicating it is a deactivated pistol with the same dimensions and weight as the standard model. Kind of a long way to say it is a pistol rendered inoperable by alteration of the interior parts by cutting and grinding. Wish I could get one, but they don’t seem to be ever encountered outside of the former Soviet Union. Seems here they applied the same word to dummy cartridges.
Most trade shows do not allow any loaded ammunition on the premises. The SHOT show, which I went to for years, has very stringent rules in that regard, with virtually every single gun and every cartridge display checked by “security personnel.”

It is a good thing. Accidents can happen!

John M.

John, no question ammunition at many shows has to be inert.
My comment on them being inexperienced was about the note on the label displayed.

And once at a gun show I was at a Russian booth where some Turkish guy was fondling a taser or electro shocker and decided to fire it on his arm (thinking it was a dummy - I took that from his later reaction). He jumped about 1 yard high and I got the laugh of my life.
Comment of the Russian guy to his collegues (in Russian):
Our dummies do appear not all to be dummies!

1 Like

Doc, yes, plenty of French in Russian common language.
And even more technical and military terms in Russia are German. Many Russians do not realize this as to them it simply is Russian.

The most correct translation of the Russian word “макет” in relation to cartridges is “dummy”.
The most correct translation of the Russian phrase “массо-габаритный макет” in relation to weapons is “weight-dimensional model”.

Mikhail

Mikhail - thank you. That is pretty much as I defined it above, but better stated. I should not say as “I defined it,” since my definition of the word was given to me by a very good friend in the Ukraine who is highly educated in the field of ordnance and, is not only fluent in Ukrainian and Russian, but also in English.

John Moss