Non weapons

Hi,

Probably not the forum for this piece I recently came across, which shows how far down we have come since Howard enacted his wretched laws. Made me froth at the mouth and I had to vent somewhere, sorry.

There is a move away from cadets using ‘real firearms weapons’ (whether they are ones with or without firing pins) for ceremonial purposes and training, to using imitation weapons. We have received already some of these so-called ‘White Weapons’, officially called Ceremonial Defence Firearm SLRs (White CDF-W SLRs), which are models of the SLR weapon used some years ago. They are white, solid-moulded plastic. They have no moving part other than a belt buckle. Since these ‘White Weapons’ cannot be fired, about the only damage that could be done with them is if a cadet drops them on his or her toes.

My comment: With a bit of luck they may get issued with inert plastic blanks. !!

Nuff said,

John

John - it is discouraging but that is the trend all over. In High School (yes, High School, not college) R.O.T.C., each cadet was assigned an appropriate weapon to his rank, and we trained with them and used them “on parade.” In the case of most, it was the M1 Garand. Officers had M1 Carbines, with the three or four highest “staff officers” having M1911A1 .45 Pistols. Of course, they were, for normal classroom and non-parade activities, kept in the arms room. Even the drill team used unaltered M1s, even though to the chagrin of our PSM&T, we played with putting pennies in the butt trap and loosening the buttplate screws, so they made a better sound when a dozen rifle butts were brought to ground simultaneously. It was to their chagrin, because right away, we had a couple of cracked stocks and were ordered to stop doing that.

These weapons all had their firing pins, and in the Armory for instruction, we had several BARs, one M3A1 SMG (kept in a safe), one M1919A4 Browning MG and one 60 mm Morter. As I recall, there was also a Bazooka in the safe, but for some reason, I don’t recall every having any classes on it.

Later, after our class was long gone, they took the firing pins out of all the weapons that could come under the control of a Cadet, and later on they stopped issuing any weapons - they were only used by the Adult instructors at the front of the classrooms. The drill team began using toy rifles of the bolt action persuasion. I don’t know what they do now. Many school districts have abolished ROTC. Just as well I suppose, as most of the kids today would not be eligible for various services due to tatoos, body piercings, overweight, or unable to pass the written entry and physical agility tests.

To my knowledge there was no live ammunition of any caliber, other than .22 locked up in the school range, for the rifle team, on the school grounds. The .22 Issue ammunition was MONARCH brand, and so poor that those of us that could bought our own. I could not afford to buy it for practice, but I managed to buy a box here and there just to use in matches. I was using the Monarch until I had a “squeeze off” AD in a match (the bullet actually hit the target paper) due to an oversized rim. When I shot the bolt handle of my 52 Winchester, it went off. The other team’s instructor wanted me DQ from the match and my score disallowed until our own instructor investigated on the spot and when he removed the fired case, showed that it had no firing pin impression. It saved the day for me. After that, our Sergeant bought the team and device that checked rim thickness and every round used in a match was gauged for oversize rims before the match began. None were found in any brand except the issue MONARCH, with which they proved to be NOT uncommon.

Our ammo quality may be better these days, but it is sad how times have changed.

John
I thought the stupidity was confined to this country.

It has had an adverse effect on our troops. In my opinion many could do with more time on the firing range.

Prior to the two world wars we had tens of thousands of militia and cadets, who had all been trained with weapons handling and live firing. When the time came they were ready on that score.
My own experiences in the cadets taught me to strip down and reassemble a Bren gun. I think I still remember the moves. We used SMLEs in .22 cal on the school range, and occasionally got to an army range to fire the .303s. Safety was always paramount.

John K. - Maybe I have your old .22 Rifle No. 2. It shoots great. :-)