Norma 50BMG tracer / incendiary?

I have seen the below Norma 50bmg tracer listed as both incendiary or a tracer rd at different places. I can see how being a solid orange tip that many people would assume it is just a tracer, but is it incendiary, or both? And how does one decipher that headstamp in terms of year / factory-code? Top image link borrowed from Cartrology below:

The case was made in 1948 by Norma and reloaded the same year by FÖRSVARETS FABRIKSVERK AMMUNITIONSFABRIK KARLSBORG.

Did you ckeck if it is a 12.7x99 or a 13.2x99?

It’s a 12.7

I’ve found it in Ron Fuchs’ book.

He says it’s an API round, and added this remark: “the steel penetrator core looks like a short profile bullet on top of a cylindrical insert”

box label reads:

M/45 / 12,7 mm SK ptr M/45gr
Laddningsdag 5/7 – 48

Orpheus, the one you describe here is different it seems as it describes the same design as it was used with the 13.2mm and had a core which was exposed for about half it’s length and he base was in a “cup” which engaged the rifling.

This one I think:
amkat.se/Images/132x99_20.JPG

More info on the 12.7 I have here - the bullet takes a magnet like an AP bullet would. The tip does not take a magnet, but further down the bullet it does, as a typical steel core bullet might, but not a huge steel core AP, maybe a smaller API or APIT, or maybe just a steel cup for incendiary? Also, the photo on top showing the cartridge matching mine is a little bit different in that the cartrology one shows a faint two-tone color on his tip. Mine is just orange at the tip, and otherwise identical, but does not have the very faint secondary color below that - if that means anything at all…

Alex,

I don’t think i’m describing the wrong projectile…

Here is the piece in ron’s book

Geert.

Orpheus, as Paul sectioned this one it should be easy to confirm. Paul you here?
As per the text description it sounds much like the projectile in the link I posted above no?

The Swedish m/45 should be the APHEI with an HEI composition in front of the core. Basically something like an early predecessor of the Raufoss multi purpose which is widely used today.
Unfortunately I do not have a proper info on the color code this proj is using.

I agree te picture you provided matches the description , but Ron also mentions the orange tip color (missing on your picture)’ and the correct HS .
But i can’t be completely sure, im just referring to the notes, and everyone can make an error.
I sure hope paul can provide more info or even a picture of that cutaway.

Geert.

My round does not have a two-toned tip marking although it does look like it from the picture. The lower portion of the projectile is slightly rough, almost as if it has been machined, while the upper portion below the orange tip is smooth GM. Interestingly enough, the projectile attracts a magnet only over the rough section.

Mine is headstamped K48 20 \ GE4723 /. Ron Fuchs’s book lists it as API but notes “this rnd has been reported as both API or Incendiary”.

Edited to add:

In Military Small Arms Ammunition of the World, 1945-1980, Peter Labbett shows a list of current (1980 publication date) Swedish color codes which include:

Incendiary: orange bullet tip
Armour-piercing incendiary (12.7mm calibre only): yellow bullet tip

In Tout savoir sur les cartouches: Identification par leurs marquages colorés, Tome 1 Vol-2 (1981 publication date) Philippe Regenstreif lists the following Swedish color codes for 12.7x99mm:

orange: Incendiary
silver/black: EX-P-I (APHEI)

As said the m/45 has a core in the rear portion and supposedly a tombak jacket wich is nonmagentic and the front section of the proj. is holding the HEI filler.
We just need to find out if the red tip is the official color for the m/45.