Norma 6XC

I just got a Norma 6XC cartridge. I had not heard of this round until now. Norma has a nice write up on their web page explaining how the 6XC(30 degree shoulder) was derived from the 6mmX(20 degree shoulder).

norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=18& … orma%206XC

I assume this is primarily a target cartridge. Does anyone besides Norma make it? What does “XC” stand for? Did Norma make the 6mmX also?

Ron,

Yes, it’s a target round.

Cor-Bon also offers it: dakotaammo.net/Performance-M … 00/Product

IIRC, “XC” stands for “across the course.” You can read more at:

davidtubb.com/tcom_images/articles/6x.pdf

davidtubb.com/6mmxc.html

Stan

Stan–Thanks for the links. So, there are at least 3 headstamps in the 6XC: norma, TUBB & COR BON.

I never would have guessed that “XC” stood for “Across the Course”. Thanks for that piece of information.

That’s what I recall reading a few years ago, but I can’t guarantee that it’s correct. The best thing to do is ask Tubb if you wish to be sure.

Stan–Reading the article by Tubb that you provided a link to, it would seem that you are correct.

The 6XC is an old Competition cartridge, well known amongst shooters. XC does indeed stand for Across the Course which is David Tubb’s forte. He was National Champion like a gazzilion times.

Whilst he was developing his 6mmX wildcat cartridge, several other shooters (me included) were developing our own wildcats, independantly. There was no Internet at that time and none of us were aware of the others until they started showing up at the different shooting competitions. All of them were slightly different but basically the same cartridge. Mine used a 40 degree shoulder and small primer. It’s called the 240 Orphan.

David was the only one who developed his to a commercial point, which he re-designed and re-named the 6XC. The first brass was proprietary with the TUBB headstamp. Some of the early ones are very collectable.

The XC is still popular with the National Match guys but has lost out to the new Scandanavian cartridges (6x47 SM and 6.5x47 LAPUA) among the other shooting disciplines.

Ray

Across the Course or XC, for those who may be wondering, is the National Match Competition consisting of the full course of fire - standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, fired at the different yardages, both slow and rapid fire. Not for old guys like some of us. ;)

Ray

Ray,
I have a .240 Orphan in my collection…R-P BR REM 95 grain BIB Bullet does that sound like one of your originals ?

I may re name the rd to .240 Meketa Missile ;)

This is one of my favourite show cartridges. When Ron Fuchs organized the show he was still production manager at McMillan Rifle. McMillan made all of Tubb’s guns, thus the connection to get these rounds autographed. There were 2 sets produced for the meeting. This one which is teflon coated was for table holders. There was also a plain brass cased round alailable to attendees. Ron also gave us a great tour of the rifle and stock production floors. That was a great show.

[quote=“Armourer”]Ray,
I have a .240 Orphan in my collection…R-P BR REM 95 grain BIB Bullet does that sound like one of your originals ?

I may re name the rd to .240 Meketa Missile ;)[/quote]

Armourer

Yep, that’s one of mine. Would you like me to have it teflon coated and autographed? ;) ;)

I’ll bet a certain guy named Jim would like one too?

Paul

McMillan still gives guided tours of both sides of their facilities, usually to groups such as rifle teams, etc. I have taken it a couple of times. It is an amazing place, don’t you agree?

David Tubb, BTW, is a good old boy from Texas. Even though he is a world class shooter and a rich successful businessman, he is one of the nicest and most unassuming guys you’ll ever meet. Of course, most shooters are nice guys.

Ray