Norma 8x58R Danish Krag

I have a fired 8x58R Danish Krag case headstamped “NORMA 8mm M/89” unusually for a modern?? commercial hunting round, this is Berdan Primed. It looks fairly new, and I assumed that it woz boxer primed, as it has a modern looking flat nickel plated cap. It was only when I looked inside the case by chance that I found it was berdan primed. I had to change my computer database of rounds as I had it down as Boxer. How old is this?

Berdan has been the primer of choice for Europe forever. Why? A long story. There are still lots of Berdan shells made and these 8mm Danish would , of course, have the best market in Denmark where they are still used for hunting- in the few places where it is possible. You would have better luck getting a date by showing the box rather than the headstamp if you have the box. There used to be lots of Berdan reloading tools spread over Europe and likely still are. Britain and the US found the BOXER far more efficient.

Britain hung onto the Berdan primer for many years, the very early .303 rounds were Boxer but this changed to Berdan for the rest of the long life of this cartridge. Similarly UK .455 revolver, .455 SL pistol, .380 revolver, 7.92mm BESA, .30 Browning, 7.62 NATO and .556mm NATO are predominantly Berdan. Virtually all Kynoch sporting ammo was Berdan too. When you see UK target shooters shooting homeloads it is invariably with foreign cases, preferably NORMA for consistency.

gravelbelly

@ CSAEOD - I know Europe used Berdan for a long time, which is odd as berdan was invented by an American and Boxer by an Englishman.

@ Gravelbelly - I know a Berdan primer is characteristic of a Britsh round, but all of the fired RG 5.56 x 45 cases I have are Boxer. The .455 Auto is also unusual in that it has 3 flash holes. is there any reason for this?

[quote=“Falcon”]@ CSAEOD - I know Europe used Berdan for a long time, which is odd as berdan was invented by an American and Boxer by an Englishman.

@ Gravelbelly - I know a Berdan primer is characteristic of a Britsh round, but all of the fired RG 5.56 x 45 cases I have are Boxer. The .455 Auto is also unusual in that it has 3 flash holes. is there any reason for this?[/quote]

Trials determined that Berdan primed cartridge cases were cheaper to produce (always a good selling point) and had at least as good reliability. As the military were not interested in reloading the cases the main advantage of the boxer primer, ease of reloading, was of no interest. I just checked some RG 5.56mm brass and that dated 1991 and newer is Boxer. I don’t know when the switch was made.

gravelbelly