Norma introduces Defensive 9mm

My apology if someone has already posted this…

" Norma Introduces Personal Defense Handgun Ammunition with New Monolithic Hollow Point (MHP)

For more than a century, Norma® has built a world-wide reputation among hunters for accuracy, reliability and terminal performance across a wide range of hunting applications. In 2019, Norma is proud to deliver this same standard of precision and ballistic performance with the release of its new 9mm Monolithic Hollow Point (MHP™).

Norma’s 9mm MHP is an all copper bullet with massive expansion and great stopping power. It is designed to reliably feed into all pistol and carbine chambers and is calibrated for consistent devastating terminal performance, regardless of barrel length. By achieving consistent, massive expansion, repeatable time-after-time, the Norma MHP is poised to set a new standard for personal defense ammunition.

“Our new MHP is likely the most expanding 9mm bullet in the world,” said Paul Lemke, General Manager for RUAG Ammotec USA. “It also reliably feeds and performs with unmatched terminal affect through expansion, in all barrel lengths/firearm platforms. Getting this performance from an all-copper projectile is a very big accomplishment for our entire team. We’re proud to offer this unique personal protection and home defense option people can trust when it matters most.”

Initially being offered in 9mm with a 108gr projectile, the new MHP is the perfect choice for concealed carry and personal defense. Its cold formed monolithic copper construction delivers extreme terminal performance and consistent penetration out of any type of firearm or barrel length at varied velocities. MSRP for a 20-round box of Norma 9mm Luger MHP is $22.48.

Norma is a registered trademark of RUAG Ammotec, a RUAG Group Company.

Established in 1902 and based out of Amotfors, Sweden, Norma has built a reputation world-wide for its dedication to quality, precision and reliability. Norma’s commitment to delivering trustworthy ammunition for hunters and shooters has been the driving force in the continual growth and expansion of Norma’s product line-up and manufacturing capabilities. For more information on Norma ammunition and components, please visit Norma-usa.com."

Nice info! I had not heard of this one yet. Paul Lemke makes a bold claim when he says he thinks this new projectile from Norma is “likely the most expanding 9mm bullet in the world”.

On the 147gr Speer Gold Dots, the HST’s, and various SCHP bullets I regularly see expansion of around 0.700" for 9mm, but when you want to get wild, the G2 Civic Duty 9mm expands to the 1.00" realm.

Here is a pic of the box art:

This ammo has appeared in the U.S. now, and landed first at LAXammo, which is the only seller I can find at the moment with it. A couple photos of the real item are there -

https://www.laxammo.com/norma-9-mm-108-gr-monolithic-hollow-point-20-rounds-detail

Also found this video posted a week ago showing some test firing. The expanded projectiles were all around 22.5mm to 24mm, so not quite 1 inch, but basically the same ballpark as the G2 Civic Duty. The obvious difference is how much lower in cost this quality looking Norma stuff is vs the similar Civic Duty, $15.95 for Norma (at LAXammo) vs an average of $32.00 for the G2 stuff. Norma is typically not anywhere near being the cheapest ammo, and is often relatively high quality. I’m impressed with this product being at this price point.

I think the price point comes about because, according to the LAX Ammo description, this ammo is made in Hungary. Makes me wonder if the cases are blackened brass, or are actually steel. They don’t mention the case material.

This is all part of RUAG Ammotec.

John Moss

I had presumed this was the dark-nickeled sort of brass, similar to the newer Browning ammo defense loads since these are billed as somewhat of a premium self-defense product. For what they are, if these are in fact dark nickeled brass, then it is a relatively outstanding price for a very large expanding SCHP bullet in this caliber. All of the other basic SCHP loads which use either Barnes, General Bullet, or Magtech standard SCHP projectiles will typically cost more than this Norma stuff, to say nothing of the premium lathe-turned SCHP stuff from Lehigh, Cutting Edge, and the growing list of others which are significantly more expensive, sometimes double.

Norma isn’t often known for being price-competitive in the U.S., so this is a pleasant surprise. Once these get going with the distributors to more retailers I would expect more price competition as well, so LAX’s $15.95 price will likely be beat by either SGammo, Outdoorlimited, or TargetSportsUSA eventually.

I still think that the actual country of origin is part of the price factor. I don’t think even Norma would charge big prices for ammunition which is evidently marked on the box “Made in Hungary” or something similar. They would have little chance of selling much of it if they did.

John

This is the first time I recall hearing of Norma ammo being made in Hungary. All part of the ongoing muddling of components that goes on with big conglomerates like RUAG. I have seen it domestically with Remington / Barnes components as they are both under Freedom Group.

John, is there maybe images of such a box marking saying “made in Hungary”?

EOD - I don’t know. I have not had the opportunity to examine a box yet, only the pictures above which don’t show all sides. However, the LAX Ammunition website, the one referenced by DK initially, says the ammunition is made in Hungary. I think that Norma is part of the RUAG Conglomerate, so that, coupled with the low price (for Norma), tends to make sense out of Hungarian manufacture. Much of the stuff sold under various famous European brand names is made in Hungary now, it seems. MFS and Fiocchi (both Hungarian and Italian branches of Fiocchi) seem to be making a major share of the commercial and police pistol ammunition in Europe now.

Of course, we can’t exclude the Russians, either. May be just my perception, as we don’t see as much of the ammo from Europe here, as we used to, or at least that is how it seems to me. Of course, with every little tiny ammunition loader having their own brands and headstamps in the USA now, perhaps the market for imports has diminished. I simply don’t know.

John Moss

Discussing Norma we should be aware that Norma of Nils Kvale’s time no longer exists. When being taken over by its new owners, more or less all old hands were replaced by new personnel. This new personnel again was replaced a few years later. We are dealing with a Norma that, in my opinion, cannot be compared to the Norma that established the reputation we associate with this brand.

John, we shall see then what else can be found on all this.
If one can get hold of the cases and maybe compare them to what we know from MFS?

Nike-Fiocchi is history as of Dec 2009.
Since January 2010 they are “HALTECH” which, suprise, surprise is part of Swiss “SALTECH” (making Swiss “high quality” and even higher prices).
Any more questions?

And the RUAG game of using components of the cheapest manufacturer is quite hard to believe as per what I have heard last.

As per what I see in recent times Switzerland is hardly making anything itself but rather imports from cheap manufacturers and rebrands to “made in Switzerland”, adds a “zero” to the price tag and off it goes.
An old German saying is: even a small trade it is better than work.

New Norma brand loads in 9 mm (MHP, Hexagon and Envy) are products of RUAG Ammotec USA, Inc. made in Hungary by RUAG Ammotec Magyarországi Zrt.

Here is a picture of the side of the Envy box honestly marked “Made in Hungary”:

Fede, thanks!
What are the headstamps in these boxes?
Are images available?

This is the best picture I have seen so far:
NN

Would you think these are MFS made?

In my opinion the box leaves no doubt in this case.

Looking forward to somebody posing good images of this hs then.

EOD - the headstamp photo shown clearly shows that the cases have a pretty normal
Norma look to them, including the lower-case letter “a” at the end of “norma.” The often used their name on headstamps totally without upper-case letters. I doubt, regardless of that, that the cases are made in Sweden.

Peelen - I agree completely with your assessment of Norma. It is not the “old company.”

John Moss

Here are some images of the ammo box and headstamp. Norma really went all-out with this in terms of packaging. This level of packaging is relatively expensive, and the slanted-orientation styrofoam tray is a first-of-its-kind as far as I have seen. This is note-worthy again, due to how this ammo performs as a SCHP, and how it drastically out-competes the nearest equivalent - the G2 “Civic Duty”, in price. I notice that the fold-out warning notification on the back only bothers with English and French, so would this disqualify it from European retail sale since it is missing so many other languages that I usually see on the little booklets attached to boxes such as on Geco products? Inside of the fold-out is has some bulleted talking point on the ammo such as the “most expanding bullet in the world” line… well it’s almost tied with the G2 Civic Duty, but otherwise, yes. I see that they did bother to vandalize the box with the stupid California prop65 warning which is below contempt (but necessary to qualify for retail sale in CA).

A few interesting things:
I like that they bothered to add a little artistic touch to the UPC bar code with a bullet coursing through the top of it.

I also notice that the velocity & energy data has an asterisk, to which you have to turn to another side of the box and read in tiny print that this data was generated from a 6" test barrel (You know they are targeting the American market when it’s inches instead of centimeters). Who the heck uses a 6" barrel in 9x19 anyway…? They are basically all 3", 4", or 5" - mostly 4.00" to 4.50"

The index number is 299740020 although they use the term “part number”. I had previously seen the more industry-insider terminology of “index” used for this sort of thing.

Lastly, I did see that in each box there looks to be 2 or 3 projectiles which show a little green oxidation near the hollow point cavity. You can see one in the front row of the tray shown above. This is no big deal, and is just a result of a tiny bit of the exposed copper oxidizing, but it isn’t a great look to the uninitiated average consumer.
norma%209mm%20hs

1 Like

RUAG is definitely doing plenty of ammo through Hungary lately. I received this case of 1000rds of Geco 9mm 124gr FMJ and it has Hungarian as the primary warnings language, and other prominent Hungary markings. It seems intended mostly for the U.S. market though, but this didn’t stop them from affixing those annoying little mini-pamphlets to the end of every single 50rd box though. Naturally they decided to stick these useless warning pamphlets on the end of the box with the printing on it, instead of sticking them to the other end of the box which is blank…

These are the same box as discussed here: Current Geco 9mm Luger boxes from different countries
and have the same headstamp with the letter R.

1 Like