NORMA Re

What does the “Re” part in a headstamp mean? Thanks in advance for any info.

“Reloadable”

It means that the case can be reloadable by handloaders

AFAIK, all Norma brass can be reloaded, always was, always will be. I never could understand why they stamped certain cases that way.

Ray

Ray - while its absolutely true that all Norma center-fire cases ever made can be reloaded, there is a general perception in the United States that you cannot reload Berdan-primed cases. With more communication, it is not so nearly prevelant as it was 40 years ago, when I would judge 90% of American shooters didn’t think you could reload Berdan-type cases at all. Today, it is a tiny minority. However, a large minority, including me, can still not be bothered with the process.

The “re” was instituted when they found a big U.S. market for their brass, to indicate nothing more than that the cases were Boxer-primed and therefore, for those who didn’t know better about Berdan case, “reloadable.” I don’t know of a single instance of a Norma Berdan-primed case having these initials. As I recall, a very few Norma calibers sold in the U.S. were Berdan.
Of course, in Europe, most Norma calibers that were not originated primarily for the American market, were Berdan-primed at one time, including .32 auto, 7.65m/m Para, 9mm Para, etc.

Perception is everything!

ahhhhhh all those years of wondering… I have seen the light!

Thanks for the quick answer everyone.

John

Your answer makes perfect sense.

One story that I heard was that some shooters thought the “Re” meant reloaded ammo and they would not buy Norma. So Norma dropped the Re from their headstamp.

Ray