NPA 9x19 question

I remember NPA 9mm discussed before but could not find it in archives. So, who actually made this (manufacturer)?

In 2005 Federal and Speer (and perhaps others) competed for a contract for 9mmP for the National Police Agency (I think that is what NPA stands for) of Taiwan. Federal won and produced this ammo. These are not the boxes that the ammo would have been delivered in to Taiwan. This is either production overrun or ammunition rejected by Taiwan (I have heard both stories).

Cheers,

Lew

Do you know why Taiwan rejected this ammo, a supposed reason? Was it too hot?

I don’t know that they rejected it. Could have been production overrun. Usual reasons for rejection is that ammo doesn’t meet bullet pull test or misfires or fails company like Federal would put overpressure ammo on the market. Even if it was a little high they would mark it +P or +P+, or they would dump it overseas where the liability laws are not as tough! They would be crazy to knowingly sell it here.

Cheers,

Lew

Per the person I contacted at Federal, the reason for Taiwan’s rejection was because it didn’t meet their strict waterproofing requirements.

What is an ‘encapsulated’ lead bullet?

Encapsulated lead bullet is the same as Speer/CCI’s “TMJ” (Total Metal Jacket. Even the base is sealed inside the GM bullet jacket. There is no lead apparent even when you pull a bullet. It is designed to reduce airborne lead particles.

John Moss

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Encapsulated lead bullet is the same as Speer/CCI’s “TMJ” (Total Metal Jacket. Even the base is sealed inside the GM bullet jacket. There is no lead apparent even when you pull a bullet. It is designed to reduce airborne lead particles.
John Moss[/quote]And if you pick it out of the backstop at my local range (the 25 meter pistol section) you find it’s a faulty claim, the jacket is seperated from the core almost all the time. (bullet stop is made of coarse sand 0,5-1,5 mm i grain size.)
Soren