Number 3000 and other thoughts

I’ve just catalogued my 3000th cartridge a .355 Super (IPSC Major Calibre).
Thats 3000 rds all with a different headstamp and of a wide variety of calibres.

When I started seriously collecting ammunition 3 years ago, I had about 300rds and would not have believed that there were 3000 different rds out there let alone I’d have that many and have thousands more to collect.

I still haven’t settled on which ammunition to specialize in…maybe I won’t, who cares…it’s fun…I want them all ;-)

There’s an ECRA meeting near me at the end of June, thats more rds to buy and trade…Ye Haw as I believe our Colonial friends say.

I shall drink a toast tonight to my 3000th rd, the IAA, ECRA and Ammo collecting in general…my wife will be soooo chuffed…

Congrats Armourer!

3000 rounds!!! In 3 years!!! Wow! And a BIG yeehaw to you.

Just so you know, only a few of us use the term “YEEHAW” as an expression of excitement. There are those of the “Northern” persuasion that look down their noses when confronted with that expression. I suppose they are “chuffed” by it all.

Rick

Armourer,
To be more precise, yee haw is Southern Colonial.

Congratulations on #3000. Your wife’s lack of enthusiasm for your collection, assuming I have correctly interpreted the meaning of ‘chuffed’, raises a question. Who’s wife shares their interest in old ammo?? It is rare to find someone within easy driving distance who collects cartridges, so the odds that your spouse would have that same genetic flaw have to be infinitesimal.

Thanks Gents for helping me out re YeeHaw

Chuffed means pleased as in “I was chuffed to bits to get #3000” but I was being sarcastic about my wife, she will not be “soooo chuffed” :-)

I haven’t yet met a wife who shares their husbands enthusiasm for ammo collecting. Come to think of it my dog enjoys ammo collecting more than my wife. My dog loves to sniff individual rds of ammo and if I get a draw full of ammo out and it on the floor the dog will lie and look at the draw for ages.

Gentlemen be upstanding, raise your glasses…“Cartridge Collecting”

We shouldn’t leave out HOT-DIGGITY-DAWG when we find a long sought after cartridge.

As for the wife thing, I refer you to a previous post of mine regarding two 6" naval dummy rounds. Paid for by my favorite wife who assisted in the hauling of same to the truck(62lbs. each). I will also add that she recommended tying them down lest they get scratched up if left to roll around. SHE was chuffed!

I hereby put forth the motion that, as referenced by the previous “JASON-STAMP” annointment, forthwith and heretofor, all new, hard to acquire, milestone to the collection finds posted on this forum be referred to as “CHUFF” finds.

Armourer - I am happy to join you in raising a glass to Cartridge Collecting. Heck, I’m happy to join anyone in raising a glass to almost anything! Just ask Lew Curtis. But…no more Chianti!

Simon

On your way toward #4000, I presume?

My wife is enthused about my collection. In fact, when a package or box arrives with more cartridges, her exact words are, “More bullets? Just what you need.” I take that to mean she is supportive. :) :)

While a specialty is a worthy goal I’ve never met a collector yet who can honestly say that he/she is one. I’ve noticed that Forum members all have a wide range of interest and can intelligently discuss just about any cartridge category. (And even subjects that have nothing to do with cartridges.) It’s what makes the Forum all the more interesting.

You didn’t say anything about your grenade collection.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Simon

On your way toward #4000, I presume?

My wife is enthused about my collection. In fact, when a package or box arrives with more cartridges, her exact words are, “More bullets? Just what you need.” I take that to mean she is supportive. :) :)

While a specialty is a worthy goal I’ve never met a collector yet who can honestly say that he/she is one. I’ve noticed that Forum members all have a wide range of interest and can intelligently discuss just about any cartridge category. (And even subjects that have nothing to do with cartridges.) It’s what makes the Forum all the more interesting.

You didn’t say anything about your grenade collection.

Ray[/quote]

Yup, heading towards number 4000 with as much speed as I can muster.

I seem to have a liking towards Wildcats ;-)

My wife says I must never, ever speak about grenades again.

(once you’ve accidently popped a green smoke in the living room and discovered that no amount of scrubbing removes that lovely (in my opinion anyway) green colour everthing now has, you just know by instinct not to mention them again.)

My lovely spouse of 16+ years does not get excited about my cartridge collecting, but she does support it, more or less. She did buy me a cartridge for the collection when we were newlyweds (thanks to Dan LeClair), and I still have it of course, but that was the first and last… She is more of a practical person and does not understand buying cartridges that are not for shooting. I’ll never forget her comment after I bought a cartridge for $40-$50 one time. “You spent $50 on a bullet you are not even going to shoot???” On the plus side, I did receive from her on my last birthday a gift of 100 rounds of .223 ammunition to take to the range for practice!!! So, I really can’t complain.

AKMS

People,

You must all understand that cartridge collecting is part of mans instinctive reason for living (hunter gatherer), the female equivalent is nurturing.

Once we are fed & looked after, we seek to find other entertainment, this is where collecting comes in, my father has correctly diagnosed it as : “Compulsive Aquisition Syndrome”. Doesn’t matter what you collect, just so happens we collect ammo!

My wife doesn’t have the acute syndrome but she is very supportive, travelling with me & even ringing me with headstamp details when she finds something in a market or junk shop.

I don’t drink, smoke or gamble, and she knows where to find me, in my collection room!!!

Congrats on #3000, don’t stop now!

Regards Peter.

Congrats on your 3,000th round! I’m raising my glass to your milestone as I post this. I’ve been collecting off and on for about 25 years and I’m only at about 1,500 rounds.

While my wife isn’t enthusiastic about ammunition, she is very supportive of my hobby. She does a great job of appearing interested whenever I get a package in the mail. She didn’t even get upset when I put a couple of dummy rounds among the knick knacks in the nursery before my son (who turned 2 today) was born!

Well ,the firts, congratulations for your BIG collection, I have about 1000 cartridges(only collector calibers), and is very dificult for me to get some cartridges in Spain(wildcat, experimental military etc).
In the second place, only a question… why all women are the same?, sorry , escuse me all mother, wife, sister, partner… of all collector cartridges of the world (je,je).

Congratulations Armourer, my deepests and sincerely congratulations. Not only for your 3000 but for reaching to in just three years, as E_MIL_IO says here in Spain this would be almost impossible. I shall raise my Hendrik’s tonight in your honor.

E_MIL_IO, if our Equality Minister read your words she will put your bones into jail ;-)

Congrats to all, this is a great hobby and a great forum to enjoy, thank you all.

AKMS - I remember that, vaguely…too much scotch across the bow. What was it she bought? At the time I was impressed as all git-out that a woman would do that. Sounded like a keeper to me!

My first wife wasn’t very understanding about any of it, even when Pete and I were putting out lists. She got even less understanding one evening when I was sorting through a batch of rotting .30-40 subcal rounds. Any that were corroded, cracked, or sweating were being tossed into a box, and she had come into my office to nag about something. She plopped herself down in a chair, her feet on either side of the box I was pitching the bad ones into. Guess what sweats out of old smokeless powder? Something popped, a projectile went across the room, and she jumped halfway to the ceiling. I got a hernia trying not to laugh.

After she mentioned that if I had ever really made her angry, she’d go into my office and trash my collection, I realized it was time for an upgrade.

Dan, it was a Czech 7.62x39mm short range tracer. I passed on it at the time because of the price ($20) which was pretty steep for a newlywed couple living on E-4 pay, but the Mrs. managed slip you a twenty when I was walking out to the car or something…she’s a clever one…

AKMS

Well , in this matter I

We will never understand the female of the species. I think that any man who collects things, be it cars, cartridges, coins, stamps or whatever will have the same problems… In my experience of 16+ years of marriage, ANYTHING that competes with the woman’s needs is a threat! I can do all of the chores, leave a love note and cover all of the bases, but if I am “down in my room playing with bullets”, I am still in trouble!

AKMS