NWM M 220 TP-T Cartridge

This is an interesting Dutch 20x102 Cartridge marked M 220 TP-T.

It has a row of red T’s at the top and DN-1-1-70 XM 221E1 in red above the drive band.
The case may be a mis-match?
Any information about this cartridge would be appreciated.

I don’t know too much about such markings, but I am sure that “T” means Training.

T for Tracer, as in Target Practice - Tracer (TP-T)

1 Like

From the photos, the row of T’s around the top means Training, I thought, and therefore, isn’t it a Training TP-T round? I should have looked at the photo better. If I’m wrong, I’ll be glad to be corrected.

Target Practice is training. Unless you are thinking of drill / dummy uses, that could effectively be the same projectile, just with no tracer loading and different colour and markings

And, as I now recall, blue colored bullets also indicate that it’s a training round. I am thinking of drill/dummy uses as these are not live rounds. Again, if I’m wrong, please let me know.

As this one is marked “TP-T” it is no dummy, otherwise it would be marked respectively.

Does the XM 221E1 mean it is experimental?
Sources say it is a tracer version of the common M55A2 TP cartridge.

Row of red “T - T - T” 's is always denoting Tracer
And yes, the ‘E’ stands for a small experimental change on the projectile (might a trace composition change)

see also : http://212.178.67.161/ftp/20mmcollector/20mm/EXP/20_102_Experimental_XM220_TP_T_XM221E1_projectile.pdf

Thank you for the reply orpheus72. Yours is marked XM220.
I did visit your fantastic web site to check. Mine is different with red print. Cheers. Ron.

theron,

I think you are confusing the colour coding of larger Ordnance items(bomb,artillery), with Small Arms Ammunition colour coding. For the larger ordnance items, generally blue denotes drill (training) or practice items, though some of these can also have explosive components (ie, spotting charges).

Same goes for projectiles. Blue NEVER meant inert! Not in projectiles and not in aircraft ordnance, mines, grenades or anything else.

O.k., I’ll need to do some more research on that then. I’m really just getting started on this myself. I just thought I knew more than I did. Not a particularly rare phenomenon.