NYPD test or THV ammo from 1983

Going through some old papers I came upon this test I had conducted in 1983 while I was assigned to the NYPD Firearms & Tactics Section. One of my “jobs” was as the person in charge of Research and Testing. I had one of my men run a test on THV ammo. .38 Special and .45 ACP calibers. Forgive the quality of my scanned copies of the report, but this was as good as I could get it. If anyone needs clarification feel free to ask.

Rich

The report is hard to read. Perhaps if you had put the scans through photo shop first. You can usually blacken (darken) the print considerably on copies like this.

O.K. What I did was I save each picture (page) in “my pictures” and then put each one of them through Paint Shop Pro X, the only picture enhancing program I have. All I did was move the “blacken” cursor as far as I could to darken it. Then, I printed them out. While it did not come out great, every page is completely legible. The whole procedure took about five minutes.

I doubt, though, that if I posted the improved scans here, that on screen, what I did would be of much help in viewing them in the size they would be. Anyone really interested in the report, as I am, can do the same procedure, and those with a good, sophisticated Photo Shop program can probably improve on my results.

I think you were smart not to continue with too much testing using a Gold Cup .45 of that early serial number. I am sure that gun had the lightened, cut out slide (like the early LW Commanders had), and if the recoil spring wasn’t changed, a compromise spring. I forget the weight of the Gold Cup spring, but I recall clearly it was shorter than a factory hard-ball spring, and perhaps a couple of coils longer than what most of us did with our NRA-Style target .45s for shooting light, hand-loaded SWC loads we all fired in matches years ago. I think a large diet of loads like what you show in the report would have battered the gun. Later, Colt stopped cutting out the slide. I would like to think they did it because they came to their senses about the purpose of the pistol (a full-weight target gun), but it was probably to save a few bucks in milling costs. I like my LW Commander .45, which I carried for about 17 or 18 years, but I fired it only enough with full loads to insure I could qualify with it and it was still working flawlessly, as it always did, right out of the box.

[quote=“RichCapeCod”]Going through some old papers I came upon this test I had conducted in 1983 while I was assigned to the NYPD Firearms & Tactics Section. One of my “jobs” was as the person in charge of Research and Testing. I had one of my men run a test on THV ammo. .38 Special and .45 ACP calibers. Forgive the quality of my scanned copies of the report, but this was as good as I could get it. If anyone needs clarification feel free to ask.

Rich
[/quote]
Thanks for posting that, Rich. With your permission, I’ll use it to make some additions to my web article on the ammo: quarry.nildram.co.uk/THV.htm

Tony, certainly you can use the material in your article.

By the way, I did attempt to enhance the letters after I scanned the images. I saved the image as a JPG, then put all of them through Canon’s Digital Photo Professional. What you see here is the best I could manage.

Rich

Excellent stuff Rich! From the ‘good old days’ before a lot of the fed import/manu restrictions and the states that followed suit.

The velocities tell the tale…the THVs frontal area/ogive and bullet material contribute to its performance, but at 2k+ fps, even soft lead will yield some surprising results on certain barriers. Hell, fired at that speed I bet even a Jolly Rancher would be a threat.

Rich,

thank you very much…the paper is very interesting!

Did you test such ammunition even against ballistic gel?

All the best
Andrea

Andrea:

No, we didn’t have the facilities to do such testing.

Rich

Perhaps these are easier to see?

Pete - yours came out just a tiny bit better than the ones I made. Nice work.