Old 30-06 ammunition

Years ago I acquired a 5 round clip of 30-06 cartridges. The head stamp is: FA s 10

I interpret this to be Frankford Arsenal, with the date of manufacture as September 1910. Am I correct?

FA is Frankford Arsenal
10 is 1910
But, the “s” is not correct. It should be a numeral.
Can you take a photo of the headstamp?
And a photo of the entire cartridge?

After I cleaned off some of the grunge, it turned out to be a “2”, and not an “s” Do you still want a photo?

FA 2 10 would be, of course, Frankford Arsenal, February, 1910. A nice early headstamp.

A photo is not really necessary to ID the headstamp, but the reason I asked for one is to help you to verify the cartridges (and the clip) as being originals. The Cal .30 M1906 cartridge had a brass case, and a cupro-nickel (CN) bullet which appears as a silvery color. Of course, you may already know all of this.

And, I never get tired of looking at photos of the old Cal .30 cartridges.

Ray

I sent two photos to your e-mail address.

Doug

For anyone interested, Doug sent me a photo of a typical brass clip with 5 rounds of Cal .30 M1906 that looks to be all original.

Ray

Speaking of old 30-06 Ammo. My FA 2 10 head stamped round is differant. Although it has a neck crack and the bullet can be removed I think it is original. What is odd about mine round is its bullet. The bullet appears to be a copper coated CN. It is none magnetic. The bullet has a small open tip that measures .102. The Ogive profile is somewhat like a Tull Bryant bullet but not as pronounced. The bullet measures .307 at its base. The base is solid and flat. There is no cannelur. Its weight is 171.5. Its length is 1.23. The powder is still in the case and filled to the top. The over all lenght is 3.342. The primer is copper. The primer still has a purple seal that makes me think it is not a reload. I thought maybe this set up was an early Match round. Any Ideas? Thanks joe

P.S. That open tip measurement was measured on the outside of the bullet point. The open tip is very small. Its about the size of a sharpe pencil tip. Thanks, joe

joe

My thoughts:

When a bullet is loose in the case it casts doubt on it’s originality. Especially if it’s a single specimin.

The Tull Bryant type ogive is not ordinarily associated with a match bullet. It’s too blunt. Match bullets from that era are more like the Thomas pencil point ogive.

From your description it sounds like it has a flat point (.102" diameter) with a tiny open point? A photograph would help us visualize it.

How deep is the open tip? Possibly a tubular design?

Maybe when the big kids get back from SLICS they can be of more help.

Ray

Thanks Ray, I was hoping i’d be hearing from you. I follow your writtings and there are always very good. I’ll try my hand at poisting a picture very soon. In the mean time, THANKS AGAIN AND HAPPY EASTER, joe

Joe,

the kids are back, can you please post a picture of the bullet

Thanks
René