Old ammo, check them out

I got a box full of old ammo from a friends mom. Most of it has corrosion. If anyone is interested in any of this let me know. Here are some pictures. The shot gun shells have rust or corrosion on all of them. There is .45 AR, .32 S&W, .UMC 38-40, 38 S&W, .30-06 all the one in the cigar box are marked RA 18, and are cracked…Make me a offer if you want any of it. I just want it to go to good use if it can.

In the cigar box of 30.06 I noted brass stripper clips. If they are halfway decent they may have value to those who collect and shoot Enfield rifles. I would suggest you look at an Enfield collector’s site and see if there is any interest, as I have seen them sell for quite a bit, if they are original.

There are some 45 ACP rounds too,mixed with the 45 AR ones.They look like military of the WWI era

Herkey - when you say that people could use those brass clips in an Enfield, I assume you are speaking of the Model 1917 Enfield in .30-06 caliber. They are the standard U.S. Model 1903 Springfield clip of the WWI era. They can be used in the 1917 Enfield, which was designed to use the same clip as the Springfield. They are of no use to anyone with a British .303 Enfield rifle.

I know I am behind the times when I hear you have seen these going for “quite a bit.” Just 20 years ago they were common as fleas (In the USA anyway) and went for anywhere from free to a half a buck apiece at your local gun shop. I used to give them away when a good customer asked about any, if we had them. If I didn’t know the chap, I might ask a quarter for them.

John, you are right. I was referring to the 1917 Enfield with regard to the stripper clips.

The brass stripper clips pre WW II are getting more and more hard to find, and more expensive. Not like winning the lottery but worth more than pennies if they are in good condition. Guys who collect GI cartridge belts and/or bandoleers and want to fill them with correct cartridges are always looking for them.

And, ouch!!!. It pains me to see those '06 rounds in that condition. They have the early Bronze Point bullets with the CN jacket and darkened tips. You don’t see them too aften anymore, much less a dog-bone box of them. But, sad to say, they’re not worth much in that condition.

Ray

When I was shooting an 03 in matches, we, including the guys lucky enough to have Model 70 Winchester Target Models, which as I recall, also took an 03 Springfirld clip, preferred the later steel clips that had no end tabs. Those little tabs were often broken off, and sometimes would break off while I was using them, anyway. There are steel ones with the tabs too, but they weren’t any better than the brass ones.

I still have three Springfields. Wish I had kept more of the tabless clips - the late ones. Gave most of them away to fellow shooters when I stopped traditional position rifle shooting years and years ago. I have plenty of the others, brass and steel.

There is not a single 45 ACP in them. they are all 45 AR

A2Vento88 - sorry, but Pivi is right. There is at least one round of .45 ACP and it is down towards the bottom of the picture, to the left. It is one with a visible dark primer seal in the picture. That is surely not a .45 Auto Rim, with that extractor cannelure. It appears to be a standard WWI vintage ball round M1911. Again, it is on the bottom row - although I know the rows are not clearly defined, and is the second cartridge from the left in the picture you posted.

I can see two of them in the first picture.

Pivi - I see the second one now too - second from the right edge of the pile, about halfway down from the top.

Assuming the remarks about the 30-06 stripper clips selling for ‘quite a lot’ and the back and forth over how many WW1 era .45 ACPs are included in the pile of .45 Auto Rims haven’t caused A2vento88 to change his mind, I have made an offer on this bunch of ammo, which he has accepted. Should any questions remain as to what in the pictures, I will be happy to answer them when the package arrives. The UMC .38-40s were what interested most. And, I can’t recall the last time I got to dig through a cigar box full of old ammo, even though it is full of rather corroded .30-06 cartridges. Unfortunately, he will be keeping the cigar box, so I’ll have to find my own.

Incidently, I have quite a few loose WW1 .45 ACP to dispose of, so if someone is really interested, let me know.

A2

Just to set your mind at ease, I didn’t mean to imply that the stripper clips were worth a lot, only that they are worth more than a few pennies like they used to be.

And I’m sure that Guy was very fair in his offer.

Ray

Few pennies?

In Italy a springfield clip is often paid 4 or 6 euros,that means about 5 - 8$

And I am not talking about uncommon markings…

Shame on me,but I have never bought a springfield clip and I have never had one at home.Simply too much cost for a clip

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Assuming the remarks about the 30-06 stripper clips selling for ‘quite a lot’ and the back and forth over how many WW1 era .45 ACPs are included in the pile of .45 Auto Rims haven’t caused A2vento88 to change his mind, I have made an offer on this bunch of ammo, which he has accepted. Should any questions remain as to what in the pictures, I will be happy to answer them when the package arrives. The UMC .38-40s were what interested most. And, I can’t recall the last time I got to dig through a cigar box full of old ammo, even though it is full of rather corroded .30-06 cartridges. Unfortunately, he will be keeping the cigar box, so I’ll have to find my own.

Incidently, I have quite a few loose WW1 .45 ACP to dispose of, so if someone is really interested, let me know.[/quote]

Yes Guy has agreed to purchase, I guess I missed a few 45 ACP, I would have kept them!! I collect WWII items and have never gotten into ammo at all. I was just given a box and didnt want it to go in the trash were it was headed. Im sure guy will know more when he gets it all.

Pivi

I think Santa Claus has heard you. A couple of brass Springfield clips will be in his next package to you. And maybe a steel one too.

Ray

Pivi,
I do have quite a few of the brass Springfield clips, and would have been happy to throw a few in with the last items you got from me had I known you wanted some. I suppose I could just put a couple in the mail, unless there is some prohibition that applies to them??

I would like to find some of the earliest examples that have the patent date stamped on the bottom. I found two of them several years ago, but I seem to have misplaced them.

Ray,
thank you

Guy,
I didn’t know you had some spare clips too.
I have to send you those relics we had spoken about yet but I haven’t seen that friend of mine who collects battlefield relics yet.

Clips are not listed in any italian gun & ammo law,they are free here and there’s no doubt they are free to import too.

I am surprised at the remarks about the scarcity/price of these clips. The brass ones are the most common ones to be found in the UK. They are leftovers from the 1930-33 ammo which was sent over as Lease-Lend for the Home Guard. Old Home Guard ammo still turns up from time to time and I am sure that there is still a lot more of it out there. I had about 20 of these clips which I tried to sell to shooters or collectors for 50 pence (now about 0.55 Euros) each but had few takers. Corroded ones clean up readily with either vinegar or Muriatic acid and are then useable.

I agree with Johns’ comments about the little tabs which break off, they were never really intended for re-use anyway. The tabs are a way of getting round the poor grip of the “U” shaped spring which was a feature of many US designed clips including the .30" M1 Carbine clips and the current 5.56x45mm. Without the tabs the end cartridges simply fall out if you blow on them.

gravelbelly