Old UMC 10 Gauge Shotgun Cartridge - Years of Production?

Hello Folks,

I’m new to the Board and I was hoping to get some assistance from knowledgeable cartridge collectors. I recently purchased some old shotgun and rifle cartridges at an estate sale. I find the collection very interesting, but I don’t know much about some of the pieces.

Among the many unusual cartridges I purchased is a UMC 10 gauge shell (see photos). A note inside the shell described it as being “scarce” and said that it was an early production example from the 1867-1870 period. I’ve been trying to do some internet research to corroborate this information and have come up empty.

The shell has a paper case and measures 2 7/8" in length and the head is 7/8" in diameter. The headstamp reads “UMC CO No 10 BRIDGEPORT CT” in raised letters. The note suggests that the raised letters indicate the shell is an early example.

Can anybody on the forum you shed any light on this cartridge? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

I think the note has it right. It is a very early shell & looks in good condition, with a nice headstamp.
Not sure I’d consider it scarce, not easy to find perhaps.

My info says production started in 1874 but do not have an end date. Twelve gauge is the scarcer one. All are hard to find. They came with either tan, brown, black or blue hulls. I have 2 tans but have not seen any other colors. Nice NPE.

Thanks guys. I’m not sure where the original owner got his info, but it appears he was a serious collector. I couldn’t find this headstamp listed on the Turtlefoot database (or anywhere else). Thanks again for the info!