Olin "EO" & Federal "X" 9mm Boxes & loads-help with Info

Some Olin boxes have “EO” or Experimental Order numbers in place of the more common product numbers. These may be true experimentals or limited orders. The picture below shows the box for the well known WCC R&D headstamps for the USAF Armament Lab at Eglin AFB (EO4100). The bottom box is an interesting round with a Brass jacket bullet (EO6161). Does anyone know what or who this was for?

I under the Federal “X” prefix on the product number means something similar to the Olin “EO”. If someone knows more on that subject, I’d appreciate hearing it.

The photo below shows 3 Federal “X” prefix box labels. Two are the well known Taiwan contract (NPA) and Radway Green (RG) contract. The other appears to be US police contracts, but that is just a guess. Can anyone shed some light on the XM9MP loads???

The 4th Federal box (2nd from top) with product number 9BPLE is just the +P+ (LE) version of a standard Federal load I assume. Can anybody confirm this or tell me what it is?

Thanks,

Lew

Lew the Federal 9BPLE is just what you suspect, same Hi Shok bullet.

Here are the specs I have on 9mm Hi Shoks

115 grain Hi Shok JHP 1300 FPS 9BPLE
115 grain Hi Shok JHP 1180 FPS 9BP
115 grain Hi Shok JHP 1180 FPS C9BP (Commercial 20 rd box)
115 grain Hi Shok JHP 1180 FPS XM9001 (Government contract)

Lew,

I can’t help you with the Winchester products, but this is what I know about the Federal products.

When I was researching the XML9N1 product for my IAA article, I contacted a person at Federal Cartridge who advised that all “XM” prefix products are “special products” and are not your average product produced for commercial use.

The XML9N1 was, as we know, made for a Taiwanese contract (police?). It was ultimately rejected because it didn’t meet the end-user’s strict water proofing requirements. The ammo was perfectly safe and servicable, so Federal released it onto the commercial market.

What happened with Federal’s XML9N1 is probably what happened with the “RG” stamped XM9RO1 95JSP. My guess is that some agency in the U.K. had contracted Federal for this ammo and it was either rejected or they had a surplus of this ammo and so they dumped it onto the commercial market.

The XM9MP 124FMJ-SWC +P+ load, as I had been told by the same person from Federal Cartridge that I contacted regarding the XML9N1 ammo, was loaded for a law enforcement agency in the state of New York (he never advised what agency it was for). Numerous times I have read on other internet gun forums that this ammo was never issued for duty use because the agency in question had (wisely) decided to dump FMJ ammo for LE use and switch to JHP ammo.

There is also the Federal XM9001 115JHP that is supposedly a load made to specific specs for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (and often just referred to as the “RCMP” load) that uses the same bullet design as the Federal Classic 9BP/9BPLE load, but supposedly has a muzzle velocity of 1200-1250 fps. (faster then the standard commercial 9BP but not a high pressured round like the 9BPLE +P+ is).

Thanks guys! Great info. I guess the Federal “X” is just ammunition not produced for commercial sale. I wonder if any of it is the small lot test ammo like some of the “EO” ammo by Olin? I am not convinced they are the same thing. I thought Olin uses a Q number for much of their special production ammo. Most of the old, early production for the Illinois State Police had “Q” numbers, and I have some more recent Olin ammo for the ISP that has a “Q” number. Had this been Federal, it would have an “X” number I think.

Leon, 9x19, I appreciate you making me smarter on this subject.

Any other thoughts on this subject would be appreicated.

Cheers,
Lew

From what I have heard, the IL State Police carried S&W model 39’s with
Federal 9BPLE and later Winchester Q4174 115 grain JHP +P+ moving at around 1335 fps. Sort of like Federal’s 38 special treasury load (38F) vs the Win equivalent (Q4169).

Also on the matter of the Federal XM9RO1, I have read that is was for the British SAS and SBS, but that info came from the internet.

Back in the early 1970s, Olin was developing the load for the ISP S&Ws. In 1970, I was stationed in IL and had an opportunity to pick up a number of boxes of this early ammunition. These rounds were all 100gr. I am traveling but when I’m home, will check the boxes and see how they were marked.

Lew

To the best of my knowledge:

The 124gr +p+ load was designed as a practice load to replicate the 124gr +p+ HydraShok issued by an agency. Spec/test sheets I’ve seen on both show as little as +50fps vs standard pressure loads. Bids I’ve seen from several agencies in NY, NJ, etc. mandate training ammunition that replicates felt recoil, POI, etc. from issued duty ammo (example: several types of 9mm frangible training cartridges didn’t make one bid due to lower recoil).

The best real-world example of LE ‘X’ loads is the XM9MS. An agency, in Hawaii if memory serves, wanted the 9MS (original 147gr JHP) loaded in nickel brass instead of regular…their stuff bears the ‘X’. The FBI’s XM1003A (10mm 190gr, one of the earlier bonded JHP LE loads) is another.