Olympic 5.56x45mm with NPA Headstamp

I have recently had an LE inquery about a 5.56x45mm with the following headstamp.

I have provided an ID based on a box below, but I have some follow-on questions that Forum members could help me with.

1. Who has made NPA headstamp ammo, in any caliber?
I know that PMP, Federal, S&B have all produced NPA headstamped 9mmP for Taiwan, and in a 2005 competition, Federal, Speer and undoubtedly others submitted 9mmP bid samples with an NPA headstamp. I have been told that more recently GFL has been supplying 9mmP with the NPA headstamp, but I have not seen, or seen a photo of an example of this 9mmP. Olympic sold 5.56mm dated 2002 with the NPA headstamp.
Do any of the Forum members know of any other NPA headstamped ammunition in any calibers??? Dates and headstamp photos would be useful

2. What calibers of Olympic ammunition exist with NPA headstamps?
I only know of 9mmP and 5.56x45mm. Are there any others???

Looking at this 5.56mm headstamp. The grainy finish of the head, the letter style and the primer crimps sure make me think it was made by Iran based on the information in the following thread.
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5191&hilit=EDP+Olympic

We have discussed Olympic ammunition before in a number of threads. As can be seen from the other threads below, there is quite a bit of evidence that Olympic Ammunition bought many of their components.

Is there any proof that Olympic ever actually loaded ammunition in any caliber for themselves in Greece or all the “Made in Greece” markings on their boxes all a fraud???

Does anyone have documentation on the dates of Olympic production, or dates when they were in business???
I have documented Olympic production from 1998 through 2002.

Other significant Forum entries on this subject are:

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13124&hilit=EDP+Olympic

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10368&hilit=EDP+Olympic&start=15

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7795&hilit=EDP+Olympic

Cheers,
Lew

Lew here are some of the NPA headstamps I have:

#1 and #2 made by OPM or PMP, South Africa for Olympic.
#3 Fiocchi for Taiwan (Red annulus Paint on it)
#4 was told it was in a Norinco box made for Taiwan, but have not seen the box only the report from who gave to me.
#5: Unknown to me

Al 9x19

SORRY had to edit post…keyboard sticking and missing text
Curtis

The top two are PMP, and the 4th one is S&B.

The third one looks like GFL! What caliber is this on???

The bottom one looks like it could be Olympic, and the date fits. I have not seen this one before.

Many thanks!

Lew

Just to understand the subject, what does the “NPA” stand for here?

EOD,

I don’t really know. I believe it is National Police Agency or something similar but have heard other ideas.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, so it is not really identified yet? Anyone else here who might know?

Lew & Alex - a South African work on 9 mm cartridges shows a box label with the same Nationalist Chinese insignia that is on the Speer boxfor an “NPA” contract. The label is all in Chinese. Wile only NPA on the label, the text above shows the “NPA” as meaning “National Procurement Agency.”

Lew - if you have this box (I am sure you must have the document, which is obviously part of a bigger study, since mine show page numbers from 168 to 218), you might think about send a copy of the label to Bin to see if he can translate it. It might give the meaning of the initials “NPA.”

Lew, here is an earlier thread on the NPA headstamps:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12289&p=87661&hilit=npa#p87661

Another on the EDP headstamp:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5181&view=next

I noticed that the current contact information for Olympic Inudstries S.A. is the same for Elias D. Papadopoulos S.A. (EDP), which is listed under the activities of “Processing, imports and wholesale trade in tobacco leaves”.

One of the IAA members was kind enough to send me an Olympic Industries ammunition catalog he received in 2004. It shows a full range of rifle and pistol ammo from .223 through 50B as well as shotshell components. I have a PDF (about 4mb) that I can send to anyone interested.

Fede, thanks for the Forum link. I had missed your posting on this topic. Great info. Wish my Waffen box that you have included one of these NPA headstamps you illustrated.

It appears all the NPA headstamps are on 9mm para except the single 5.56mm that I illustrated.

Does anyone have an NPA headstamp on any other caliber???

In pic, left is NPA 01 (S&B), middle is NPA 06 (Federal/crimped non-toxic primer), right is NPA 08 (Fiocchi/blackened leadless primer).

Pulled primers from some NPA 01 9mm Luger, they were S&B. Came from this Olympic box with no lot number.

Somebody wrote “MAY BE CORROSIVE”.

Thanks to Lew I was able to study the Olympic catalog.

Who has ever seen their 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. They are copper clad steel cases so one would think they are made elsewhere or made on machinery purchased in an eastern country.
Anybody with info on this?

I have confirmed that NPA is:

[quote]Republic of China
National Police Agency, Ministry of the Interior
[/quote]

My understanding is that this is what the box label says across the top. The web site is:
http://www.npa.gov.tw/NPAGip/wSite/ which has an English version

“npa” is basically the site name and the website says it is National Police Agency and shows the same logo that is on the front of the box.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, well done to connect that to a website leaving little doubt about the meaning and ID.

My question is now did S&B make their 9x19 cases/cartridges directly for Taiwan or were these for Olympic as a middle man who just ordered the cases or cartridges from S&B and deleivered the cartridges to Taiwan? Or is Olympic not part of this game and I got something wrong?

My understanding from some people in production at S&B is that it was their contract with Taiwan. They don’t know where Olympic got the cases, but would not necessarly know where any excess cases went. D’Artagnan has looked at the 01 dated NPA cases from Olympic and they have S&B primers. When I first got info on this round-dated 98 I think, I was told by a guy with solid Police/Forensic contacts who passed me the data, that the the cases were Russian and that the primers, bullets and powder were made by three other sources, including one in the US, and the ammo loaded in Greece. Sorry but I’m on the road and don’t have access to my note on this.

Clearly the cases were not Russian, but it is not impossible that Olympic bought the cases in Russia! This ammo was in the red & white Olympic box, not the typical Chinese NPA box that seems to have been used on all other contracts including the previous RSA contract by PMP. I have never seen the Czech cases (dated 98, 99 & 01) in anything but Olympic commercial boxes.

This is a long winded way of saying that I think it was an S&B contract with Taiwan, but it could have been an Olympic contract that they subcontracted to S&B. The S&B primers in the 01 loads would imply htis may be the case, as does the non-S&B 02 case pictured above. This could have been an S&B contract for Taiwan-through Olympic-and the production guys just heard that the ammo was for Taiwan!

The Olympic S&W headstamped cases were made with cases from Romania. A Forum member was in the factory and saw this ammo being loaded in the Romanian factory and brought out a case & bullet! He didn’t know who this ammo was being made for.

Very long way to say that I don’t really know!

Cheers,
Lew

Alex, this is the 7.62x39 box and cartridge. Note the use of Yugoslavian M67 designation.

Fede, as usual I should have asked you first it seems. Thanks a lot for the image!
Do you happen to know the hs and who in former Yugoslavia made these and is there a time range we can associate with these?

[quote=“Lew”]My understanding from some people in production at S&B is that it was their contract with Taiwan. They don’t know where Olympic got the cases, but would not necessarly know where any excess cases went. D’Artagnan has looked at the 01 dated NPA cases from Olympic and they have S&B primers. When I first got info on this round-dated 98 I think, I was told by a guy with solid Police/Forensic contacts who passed me the data, that the the cases were Russian and that the primers, bullets and powder were made by three other sources, including one in the US, and the ammo loaded in Greece. Sorry but I’m on the road and don’t have access to my note on this.

Clearly the cases were not Russian, but it is not impossible that Olympic bought the cases in Russia! This ammo was in the red & white Olympic box, not the typical Chinese NPA box that seems to have been used on all other contracts including the previous RSA contract by PMP. I have never seen the Czech cases (dated 98, 99 & 01) in anything but Olympic commercial boxes.

This is a long winded way of saying that I think it was an S&B contract with Taiwan, but it could have been an Olympic contract that they subcontracted to S&B. The S&B primers in the 01 loads would imply htis may be the case, as does the non-S&B 02 case pictured above. This could have been an S&B contract for Taiwan-through Olympic-and the production guys just heard that the ammo was for Taiwan!

The Olympic S&W headstamped cases were made with cases from Romania. A Forum member was in the factory and saw this ammo being loaded in the Romanian factory and brought out a case & bullet! He didn’t know who this ammo was being made for.

Very long way to say that I don’t really know!

Cheers,
Lew[/quote]

Lew, thank you again, so I’ll keep these as S&B for Taiwan since they said it themselfes.

Alex, I’ve downloaded that picture from MidwayUSA’s website back in 2005 and didn’t heard about it anymore. I’m surprised that none of the 7.62x39 collectors bought a box. Maybe this is a Macedonian made cartridge? Or maybe it was repacked Iranian ammunition headstamped 7,62x39 94/95?

Fede, great image, wished I had the box!
Iranian bullets are heavier than the usual +/- 8g - with that boattail they need to! If my memory serves me right, their weight is 8,1 or even 8,2g.
If it was repack, the M67 does not make sense, unless it is a label “habit”.
Hans

Found it! Headstamp is E.D.P. 7.62x39 02 and primer annulus is red. No picture, sorry.