On aluminum cases burn-through issues

The thread titled “6x45 SAW phenolic varnish on case?” mentions an earlier thread, author unknown, in which the following post can be read:

As I understand it, the 6x50 length was developed for the aluminium case, because to avoid the risk of “burn through” (aluminium being potentially inflammable) the case interior was lined with a fireproof material. This reduced the case capacity so the case was lengthened to compensate, in order to match the ballistics of the 6x45.

There are a couple of reports of interest in case someone wants to dig deeper into the aluminum case burning issues:

AD-750 379
AN ANALYSIS OF 5.56MM ALUMINUM CARTRIDGE CASE BURN-THROUGH PHENOMENON
Walter H. Squire, et al
Frankford Arsenal, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1972

dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD … tTRDoc.pdf

Technical Report ARAEW-TR-05003
ALUMINUM CARTRIDGE CASE CONCEPT
Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, Armaments Engineering and Technology Center (Benet)
Picatinny, New Jersey, 2005

I found this last one in the Internet too but now I can’t seem to remember where.

Cheers,

Schneider.

Thank you Schneider!

The second report can be found here:

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA434633

Projects to develop aluminium alloy small-arms cases get revived every few years because of the huge weight reduction compared with brass. There’s one research project running at the moment in the USA.

Of course, US-developed light-alloy cases have been in service for decades in 30x173 and 30x113B calibres, so it can be done!

On an alloy case project that I was involved in the case had been developed to a reliable standard when the project had to be abandoned. The problem was that the case was fine when fired from a standard sized chamber but when fired in an oversize one problems occurred. As there were many weapons about with oversize chambers the project died for safety reasons.

[quote=“TonyWilliams”]Projects to develop aluminium alloy small-arms cases get revived every few years because of the huge weight reduction compared with brass. There’s one research project running at the moment in the USA.

Of course, US-developed light-alloy cases have been in service for decades in 30x173 and 30x113B calibres, so it can be done![/quote]

Yes, I find it funny that the concept works with large calibers but not with small arms ammo.

It also works with pistol ammo, of course, with the Blazer series (IIRC). Presumably the lower pressures pose fewer problems.

Here’s a dramatic illustration of a burn-through/case failure. The case is an unheadstamped Canadian experimental 20x110 HS from the late 1940’s - early 1950’s.

Paul, thank you for sharing, it almost looks like a piece of art.

Quite graphic, yes.

As Dale M. Davis puts it, a split in an aluminum case is an entirely different matter and is, to say the least, spectacular. The situation is that although hot powder gas may leak through a split in a brass or steel case and slightly melt or erode the split, a similar leak in an aluminum case will ignite the aluminum which, under the pressure and flow velocity involved, will generate enough heat to melt or burn steel chambers and bolts.

Schnieder - exactly the source I consulted! I was only going to add that it is one thing for such a failure in a remotely operated gun and another when it is mere inches from a shooters face.