Onslaught 357 magnum loads

Two years ago when I first joined the IAA, one of my very first forum posts was a question regarding “Onslaught” ammo and what it was. I had one rd of it which appeared to be a flat lead disc projectile flush with the case mouth of a brass 357 case with a Midway headstamp. Last April at SLICS I had the good fortune to find an original & full box of the Onslaught ammo, and so here now is all the info and photos on it:

Packaged 12 to a case in MTM plastic cases.

9 similar lead disc projectiles stacked tightly & flush with case mouth.

Package label shows 9 impact marks on the right side of the label

Package label shows “Ammo Exchange” as the company - Anbody know more on that?

Each projectile weighs between 17gr - 18.5gr and appears perfectly similar.

DK…Years ago, I lived in Seattle, WA. I believe Ammo Exchange was there, as I remember visiting there and still have a couple of the red labels you show on the box…I remember it was a “garage type” operation with the owner and one other guy…

Randy

DK…Just found Onslaught label for .38 Spl…Light blue…

deleted

I wonder if the lead discs will sail like a frisbee and miss a distant target? Please do shoot one------or two.

Great items DK!!!

Now find me a pack in 9mmP!!!

Lew

I’ll take a 20yd shot when I get a chance, but I’ll do it into drywall since I don’t believe these discs will have much penetration power. Depending on how they fly, they might bounce off plywood.

Yea. Drywall. Good point.

Here is the .38spl label for the Onslaught (Thank you Randy Hedeen). It also shows little impact marks on the label (7 of them on this label for the 7 discs in the .38 load).

Matt, the full address of this company was 7009 Roosevelt N.E., Seattle, WA 98115. A publication dated August 1984 indicates that it was only available in these two calibers, but planned production also included .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. Regards, Fede.

Thanks fede. The article I have is from the July 1984 “Firepower” magazine, and I have heard that there was also an article in a 1984 issue of SWAT magazine.

majorbeau:

An regularly shaped object (no tail fins allowed!) moving through a fluid (air) will travel with its largest area dimension perpendicular to the direction of travel. That means the thin lead slugs are unlikely to tumble or frisbee off course. On top of that, the thin slug are going to be wildly over stabilized by a rifling twist rate designed to stabilize much longer projectiles. If you have ever dropped a coin in an aquarium style wishing well, you will notice that it quickly levels out and falls flat even if you drop it so the thin edge is perpendicular to the surface of the water. The coin will bob and weave a bit, but it mostly falls with the disc surfaces facing up and down (against the direction of travel). You can try this with a cylinder or a block and the long dimension will always be orientated against the direction of travel.

In 1983, I was assigned to the photo lab of the nuclear aircraft carrier Carl Vinson shortly after her commissioning. Due to the long lead design schedule, blue prints that are carved in stone and an unmovable bureaucracy, the Vinson was outfitted with a brand new sparkling 1958 style photo lab. The Chief pulled a lot of strings and rebuilt the lab as the Navy’s first all color floating photo lab, but that meant that some of the darkrooms were stuffed with obsolescent processor parts that had to be quietly disposed of. We were sitting off Key West (I think) when the Chief decided to unload some of the excess inventory. I hauled some stainless steel panels up to the hangar bay and float tested them from Elevator Three. I noticed that the first panel hit the water and was lazily flat spinning its way into the depths. I tried to send the next panel in at a steep dive, but it flattened out too, as well as the remaining panels. I could still see all six panels falling through the deep clear water ten minutes later on my next trip to L3.