ORM-D Label Phase out in 2012

After reading 100 pages of the new Dept of Transportation Rules starting in 2012, my wife the lawyer,(not really but she should be) says it looks like we will no longer use ORM-D labels starting 2012, and we will be going to the new UN “Limited Quantity” Labels
The below links at to different parts or the law. I appears we have no problem shipping as in the past as long as the packages are under 66 pounds?
You have to be a Philadelphia lawyer, (which I am not) to understand this, and I don’t even wish to get into a debate on it. This is posted as an informational post. If we are wrong then hopefully a real lawyer will set us straight.
edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2010-33324.pdf
setonresourcecenter.com/tran … _101tb.pdf
new label link below, I would like a cheaper one if anyone can find a supplier
labelmaster.com/store/script … evel=65930
Thank You,
Dave Call
ammo-one.com

up date 11/17/11
more links on ORM-D Phase out, you may have to copy and paste on you broswer:
rila.org/sustainability/envi … 20FAQs.PDF
and an easier to read breakdown found here:
lion.com/newsletter/archives … ssue22.asp

It will be interesting to see how quickly out local UPS people learn the new system.

I shipped a bunch of .22 boxes about a month ago. When I took the box into the local UPS Shipping point (not one of the franchise stores) and asked them to put a ORM-D label on it, they said they could no longer get the labels from the UPS supplies place and just drew a label on the box with a magic marker. They had no idea why the label was not available, but this probably explains why.

These new labels actually started at the beginning of this year. It’s kind of nice since you do not have to say it is ammunition.

Here is a link to print them: http://www.type03.net/ammo/limitedquantity.pdf You must use the larger square unless your packaging is too small to fit it, then you are permitted to use the smaller one.

You can continue to use the old ORM-D “Cartridges, Small Arms” labels until December 31, 2013 if you wish.

Aaron, are you positive about that? I’ve used the new sticker and you still have to identify the contents on the shipping invoice. ??

Ray

I only have to declare the contents when I go to a 3rd party “UPS Store.”

Hmmmm. The UPS Stores here in Linden won’t accept ammunition and the Hub still has the Shipping Label & Invoice on their computer that asks for an ID of the contents. The last time I was there the clerk asked what the contents were and I pointed to the sticker. He hollered to his boss, “What am I supposed to put as the contents?” The boss yelled back, “Small Arms Ammunition.”

I always just have UPS pick them up, either by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS, or just giving it to my driver who comes daily to my workplace.

I don’t fill out anything, I just have the label made online, it gets billed to my account.

I have never used the UPS Customer Service Centers, and when I use the UPS Store, they ask me what’s in it but have never given me a hassle.

[quote=“Aaron”]These new labels actually started at the beginning of this year. It’s kind of nice since you do not have to say it is ammunition.

Here is a link to print them: http://www.type03.net/ammo/limitedquantity.pdf You must use the larger square unless your packaging is too small to fit it, then you are permitted to use the smaller one.

You can continue to use the old ORM-D “Cartridges, Small Arms” labels until December 31, 2013 if you wish.[/quote]

Yes, it was optional to use the new UN Labels in 2011, thnanks for the link to the PDF, the label are currently fairly expensive.
Dave

Aaron, are you positive about that? I’ve used the new sticker and you still have to identify the contents on the shipping invoice. ??

Ray[/quote]

No you do not have to ID the contents , just the UN Limited Sticker.
Now the next big question is will the Post office honor the Limited Sticker ;-) ? I doubt it, then they would make money , and the Post Office is Government, they only know how to lose money ;-0

[quote=“Aaron”]I always just have UPS pick them up, either by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS, or just giving it to my driver who comes daily to my workplace.

I don’t fill out anything, I just have the label made online, it gets billed to my account.

I have never used the UPS Customer Service Centers, and when I use the UPS Store, they ask me what’s in it but have never given me a hassle.[/quote]

I ship about 1,000 packages a year and FedEx is cheaper then UPS for me. UPS wants to charge the small business more to give Amazon, LL Bean and other big companies better prices. Dave

Some UPS Staples store are afraid ammunition can explode, it is a matter of education, same with the Post office. Dave

[quote=“Aaron”]These new labels actually started at the beginning of this year. It’s kind of nice since you do not have to say it is ammunition.

You can continue to use the old ORM-D “Cartridges, Small Arms” labels until December 31, 2013 if you wish.[/quote]

I think I read; it was voluntary to use the UN Labels in 2011, but you have to uses the UN labels in 2012? I maybe wrong? Not that anyone most likely care, on small orders of a few pounds. I am going to start now, anyone want to buy 1,000 ORM-D labels I have available :-)

Two weeks ago I received a live 14.5MM Blank via UPS. The box it came it had the blue ORM-D label on the box. The following week I sent the same round to a friend and left the ORM-D sticker in place. When I took it to the UPS Store, they freaked and said, “NO WAY” and that they were not allowed to ship ammunition. I explained that this was shipped via UPS in the same box using the same sticker. In the end, I covered the sticker with the UPS address label and shipped it ground.

J

While UPS does ship ammo, I believe that their “UPS Stores” are privately owned and are not allowed to ship ammo. Ammunition must be sent via a UPS hub.

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info. It was driving me crazy that the ammunition was shipped UPS to me but I could not send it out UPS.

J

The UPS stores, like those at Kinko’s, Office Depot, Mail Boxes Plus, etc. have told me that they absolutely will not accept ammunition for shipment. I have to take it to the main UPS depot in town, which is a considerable drive from my home. I live very close to a FedEx depot, but the people there claim they will not accept ammunition from me for shipment as I am not a FFL holder. They don’t give me a hard time if I ship guns to an FFL holder, however. I do have to show them a copy of the recipient’s FFL. I don’t know the official FedEx policy on shipping ammunition, and it wouldn’t make any difference if I did, as the local FedEx employees wouldn’t listen to me anyway.

It is perfectly legal to ship unloaded long arms by USPS. However, my experience is that the guys behind the counter absolutely will not accept a rifle or shotgun regardless of what the postal regulations say.

I visit several “shooting” type forums and the subject of shipping ammunition and/or guns is one that is constantly being discussed, and cussed. It never ends.

Mailing guns via USPS is legal. The rules for handguns vs long guns are different but both are legal. Shipping ammunition and all guns via UPS and FedEx is legal. The single biggest problem is that many clerks, and their supervisors as well, do not know and/or understand the rules and regulations. You can generally get a Postmaster to read his/her own rules but UPS an FedEx are private businesses and if they refuse to do so you don’t have many alternatives.

Once I find a Post Office and UPS hub that knows what they are doing, I use them exclusively. But, clerks and supervisors come and go and I can see the day when shipping guns and ammunition will be talked about as the “good old days.”

Ray