OYJ French Long

Has anyone seen I die break like this. It looks a bit too even, and there were pull marks near the top of the bullet. The round was supposedly scarce, before these were found.

Thanks,
sam

Your cartridges were made by " Ateliers de construction" of Tarbes,France .This factory used this headstamp during the German occupation

Hi

Pivi

An other pistol round, the 7.65 Browning is also known with this head stamp.

To compare, two head stamps from a 8mm Lebel rounds from the same factory.

Interesting, the

I think the question was about the anomaly on the headstamp of the cartridge shown on the right, which obliterates the second “4” in the date. I have personally examined this exact cartridge, and I felt that it is simply the result of a broken bunter. I am not positive of that, however. Perhaps someone on this Forum that is really up on the manufacturing process can tell us what sort of malfunction, if any, could cause such a nice even obliteration of the the second digit of the date like that, if any, or if they felt it was something done purposely (which I personally doubt).

Regarding the diffrentces between the numbers on the dates of the 8mm Lebels from this factory when compared to the numbers on the 7.65 French Long, I would not place any great importance to that. Some factories get all their bunters from one source, and I suppose some factories make their own bunters, but I have seen companies where the headstamps are slightly different almost with every new delivery, and of course we have the wartime case of Evansville Chrysler, that either simply thru loose standards for the headstamp markings, or for some reason not know to us (in-house identification of machine lines?) they had many different bunteres with different ahsped and size of letters and numbers going at any given time.
Regardless, these are two completely different shaped heads with the numbers at a different attitude from each other as well. There is no particular reason why we should expect them to be identical, in my estimation.

John Moss

Sorry,but I didn’t understand what was exactly written above…There were some english expressions I have never seen

Pivi

Pivi - if you don’t understand something I said, please tell me in your posting what it is that you didn’t understand. I will try to word it a different way or with different vocabulary. I know very well the difficulty of reading material in a language that is not your own. I can socially get by in the Spanish and Italian languages and talk cartridges in very poor German, but my vocabulary in any language other than English is poor, and there are always many, many words I don’t understand.

To help you, though, which we of course want to do, we need to know what you didn’t understand.

I did have a couple of typographical errors that made a sentence confusing, and those have now been corrected.

John
I wasn’t talking about your post but about the Sam’s topic.I didn’t understand what’s the meaning of " I die break like this" and " bit too even" expressions
Your english is quite simple to understand
However thank you john

Pivi

For example “bit too even” should be " persino troppo " in Italian.

I am sure that Sam meant that the rectangular anomaly that is covering the second digit in the date on the headstamp of that cartridge is very regular in shape, like it was purposefully done, rather than the result of a broken headstamping tool, which should have rougher, or more irregular edges.

John M.

Thanks for clearing that up John,
If it’s a die break, or something else, there should be others like it. Especially in other calibers, with much higher production. Although, where and when these were made, quality control might have been a priority.

sam

Headstamp bunters are usually made for a specific size cartridge head. for instance, the headstamp lettering on the French Long round for oyj is not identical to that on the same headstamp on 7.65m/m Browning, and totally difference than that on the rifle caliber. Therefore, a break on the bunter used on your cartridge would have no effect at all on rounds from this factory of any other caliber. They probably had spare bunters and would likely replace it soon after discovering any flaw. With the few of these rounds seen today, in any caliber, compared to what actual production probably was, there really is not any particular reason why others like it should necessarily be found. There could have been hundreds like it and yet have none show up today, 63 years later.

In 1944 Europe, rounds with minor cosmetic defects like these were almost certainly passed by the inspectors for general issue, as long as the function of it as a piece of lethal ordnance was not impacted.