P&M Collector's Supply cartridge catalog

Anyone know who ‘P’ and ‘M’ were?

Looks like it’s in great shape. I would love to look through it a bit.

57 pages of unbelieveably low prices, ranging from 1 cent (.22 rim fire) on up to $10 (.45-70 Van Choate and 461 #2 Gibbs). The .44 Henry rim fires range from 4 cents to 15 cents each.

I overlooked the .54 Jennings at $15, and 58 Morse at $10.

Morris Pixley and Al Murphy…

I knew Morris very well for a number of years, he lived in Seattle.

There is also a 1936 catalog, which is smaller…I believe I have a number of copies of the one shown by Guy…

Randy

Before we lament the passing of those prices, remember that in 1938, with the Depression not yet ended, you could buy a nice red apple for one penny, and 15.00 was a LOT of money. As late as 1944, the flat that my family lived in, three bedrooms, one bath, living room, pantry, kitchen, wash room, and formal dining room, one block from the Presidio of San Francisco in a pretty good neighborhood, we rented for 40 bucks a month. The same flat, now refurbished I am sure, is probably 2500.00 to 3000.00 a month today.

Thank you Randy for identifying the names behind P & M. I was coming up empty in my Google search.

Cornwell Publishing has a reproduction of this catalog; I believe it is available for around $15, the price of the .54 Jennings cartridge (or 1500 of John’s nice red apples) in 1938.

bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

This inflation calculator is a very handy reality check. $248+ for the $15 Jennings.

There’s another side to this business of scoring nostaglia points off of old catalogs and price lists. That is the stuff that, allowing for inflation, is worth less now than was being asked for it 1938 or 1943 or whatever. With luck, you can sometimes find an item that isn’t even worth what was sought in those long gone days disregarding inflation. Jack

Jack - you are sure right on there. I came across one of the Nambu cartridges, either 8 mm or 7 mm, in an old list by one of the early cartridge dealers. It was priced at about ten times the price of a nice Bergmann round, or some other cartridge that is somewhat costly these days. I know the price of the 7 mm Nambu is starting to go up as they are starting to be harder to find, but the 8 mm is still, in my mind, a 50 cent cartridge. Of course, before the war, few Americans had ever even seen a Japanese pistol, much less a cartridge for it.