Paper Cartridges – Need Help with Identifying

Sure could use the help of you fine folks with helping me to identify the 2 paper cartridges that I have pictured. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
The cartridges are roughly 3” in length from the crimped end (tied end? – no string present) to the beginning of the folded tail end of the cartridge. The cartridges feel as though there may be more than one projectile in the packet. The diameter of the cartridge is roughly .450 +/- .15. Sorry for such a large variable but it was difficult to locate a spot on the cartridges to measure. One person thought it was for a Chassepot but was not certain. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying the cartridges along with a general value. The cartridges are in good condition with no tears or holes in the paper.

FYI - I am having a hard time in uploading the image of the 2 paper cartridges. Until I hear back from Chris on how to upload the image directly to my post I need you to click on the http: link below to view the picture. Once I hear back from Chris I will edit my post so that the image shows up with the post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[quote=“BWHornbeck”]Sure could use the help of you fine folks with helping me to identify the 2 paper cartridges that I have pictured. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
The cartridges are roughly 3” in length from the crimped end (tied end? – no string present) to the beginning of the folded tail end of the cartridge. The cartridges feel as though there may be more than one projectile in the packet. The diameter of the cartridge is roughly .450 +/- .15. Sorry for such a large variable but it was difficult to locate a spot on the cartridges to measure. One person thought it was for a Chassepot but was not certain. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying the cartridges along with a general value. The cartridges are in good condition with no tears or holes in the paper.

FYI - I am having a hard time in uploading the image of the 2 paper cartridges. Until I hear back from Chris on how to upload the image directly to my post I need you to click on the http: link below to view the picture. Once I hear back from Chris I will edit my post so that the image shows up with the post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu19 … erCart.jpg" target="_blank">PaperCart[/quote]
Picture is sort of fuzzy but, these seem to be packets of percussion caps of the type that were included with packets of made up paper cartridges ( ten cartridges to a pack, with 12 caps ) M. Rea

Thank you for your reply. I have had packets of paper cartridges in the past that were sealed or empty so I have never seen a packet of the primers that went with the cartridges. From the size of the 2 that I have I would have to assume that they were not revolver primers but primers for a rifle. If they are for a rifle, and I apologize for the fuzzy pictures, is there someway that they could be identified as to what rifle they were for ??
Thank you
Bruce

[quote=“BWHornbeck”]Thank you for your reply. I have had packets of paper cartridges in the past that were sealed or empty so I have never seen a packet of the primers that went with the cartridges. From the size of the 2 that I have I would have to assume that they were not revolver primers but primers for a rifle. If they are for a rifle, and I apologize for the fuzzy pictures, is there someway that they could be identified as to what rifle they were for ??
Thank you
Bruce[/quote]

They would be for Muskets. One size would have fit most if not all Civil War carbines and muskets.