Paper case 12 Guage made by S.P.A.B

Paper case 12 Guage made by S.P.A.B.

Last week I see this empty paper 12 Guage case.
The owner told me it was made before 1900.

The maker is S.P.A.B.

The primer seems to be glued in the case made from paper only.
I am not collecting this calibre but I hope some of our members can tell us more about this interesting paper case probably made in Sweden.

Rgds
Dutch

Sorry I can’t help with who S.P.A.B. is, but I do have a smaller 16 ga example to confirm it was made in other gauges & it is stamped the same as Dutch shows.

These all paper shells are neat.

I have a Federal, which is unheadstamped, French with an impressed “BREVETE 12 S.GD.G. 12” headstamp, Argentine unheadstamped but with red “Delro” case print, and Japanese headstamped with a pattern of printed lines and which were used to spread “farm depredation repellents”.

There is a post on this forum about these Japanese.

Svenska Patronhyls-Aktiebolaget
Stockolm

12 and 16 gauge

jp

Great Info JP, do you have more information about this company such as time period etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a letter from a friend who listed it as: S.P.A.G. - Svenska Patronfabriken Atki Bolag Slightly different than JP’s spelling.

& although he didn’t know the time exactly, he stated “their patent for all paper shotshells goes back to 1880”

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]I had a letter from a friend who listed it as: S.P.A.G. - Svenska Patronfabriken Atki Bolag Slightly different than JP’s spelling.

& although he didn’t know the time exactly, he stated “their patent for all paper shotshells goes back to 1880”[/quote]

The name is the one I gave you
Patronhyls means cases
Aktiebolaget means incorporated company

existing (100% sure) in 1895 and 1898
I think the patent is from 1898
(I do not read swedish)

jp

Here is some additional information. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to make Swedish characters on my Keyboard for translation.
Don’t understand a word of it.
Perhaps a Swedish speaking collector can translate it for us.
Thanks in advance.

Dutch

Dutch, very nice find! As mentioned by JP, the correct name for this company is Svenska Patronhyls Aktiebolaget, with or without a dash between the last two words. The patent for this cartridge dates from 1893. Here is drawing showing the internal construction (fig. 7 contemplates the optional use of metal to reinforce the rim):

Dutch, using an online character map website I was able to type out the text from the image:

Tack för mail !!Förlåt mitt dröjsmål med att svara Det Din bild visar är en svensk hylsa från 1897: Den finns nåmnd på sidan 211 i Josek Ahlms bok Vapnens historia från 1927 (Nytryck Redeviva 1982) Enligt Ahlm upphörde tillverkningen redan 1899. Jag har den i 12 o 16 och bottenstämplen är S.P.A.B. PATENT med tanke på den korta tillverkningstiden blev det nog ingen suxé och jag har aldrig sett nån laddad patron utan bara NPE. Har kankse sett en handfull under åren så en del har överlevt.

which translates roughly to:

Thanks for the email !! Forgive my delay in responding It Your picture shows a Swedish sleeve from 1897: It is mentioned on page 211 of the book Josek Ahlms Weapon history from 1927 (Reprint Rede Viva 1982) According to Carter’s production ceased 1899 I already have in the 12 o 16 and headstamp is SPAB PATENT given the short production time, it was probably no suxé and I’ve never seen anyone live cartridge without just NPE. Have offer some of seen a handful over the years so some have survived.

Note: - I don’t know what “suxé” translates to, but if it is a Swedish profanity, then apologies, and somebody please let me know. -Matt

Very interesting topic!!

and I think! that suxé means success, according to the sentence it was written in.

regards rené

[quote=“polman”]Very interesting topic!!

and I think! that suxé means success, according to the sentence it was written in.

regards rené[/quote]

René you are right - suxé means success in Swedish
Lars

From a local Swedish paper (Kopparbergs Läns nyheds- og annoncs tidende) from 20. September 1898:

Perhaps it is an add for the all paper shell. I think JP are right about the meaning of S.P.A.B.

Lars

Guys, many thanks for your input,

Rgds
Dutch