Paper Greener Cartridge Value?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been working at an antique market the past couple weekends, and just today spoke with another vender about cartridges.

This gentleman had just sold his Greener gun, and he is left with some apparent black powder, paper cartridges that he used in his Greener gun. None of which actually say “Greener” (in his own words).

I do have an all plastic “Greener” stamped cartridge which my uncle gave to me, but did not know they came in black powder and paper.

The gentleman is bringing these cartridges for me tomorrow, and I was just curious on an adverage price range for these cartridges. It would be SUPER appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Regards,
Dave.

[quote=“RimPin”]Hello everyone,
I do have an all plastic “Greener” stamped cartridge which my uncle gave to me, but did not know they came in black powder and paper.
Dave.[/quote]

Hello Dave

Greener made a lot of guns in conventional gauges (from 2 to 20) and also in 3 gauges very specific to him.

1. 14 Gauge . Very similar to a classic 14 gauge except a small difference in length. It has a brass case.
  2. The 12/14 gauge with an all brass case except for late production with an all plastic case (the one you have )
  3. The 28-30 gauge with a paper lined brass case

If his ctges are with a paper tube they can’t be in one of these special 3 gauges but in a regular gauge

I know for example paper tube shells with the following hstps
No W.W. Greener 12 London & Birmingham
W.W. Greener. Hull
W.W. Greener N°12

jp

JP - Thank you very much for your response!

If I remember correctly, the fellow had mentioned they are 10 gauge shells.

I suppose I will offer him $1 - $2 for each cartridge (depending on how many there are)

Regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Greener had many cartridges, ranging from 32 bore to 8 bore (may have had 4 bore and punt guns too!) I have not seen any named examples of these. Not seen a .410 either but that doesn’t mean he didn’t do them

Most Greener cartridges are under the trade name “Sporting Life” although there were a few other brand names. I have never seen a paper 10 bore by Greener (brass yes) that does not mean they didn’t sell them.

I have added a selection of Greener cartridges, give you some idea also a nice box by Greener but because it is all shades of green it does not take a good picture.

Standard Sporting Life cartridges (I would hazard a guess that this comes in at least 12 styles)

A 20 Bore on a plain case.

12 Bore Head stamp from an early Sporting Life Case.

Kynoch Patent (Brass case) 12 and a 16 Bore

Sporting Life on what may be a Remington case, HS is just 12 - 12.

10 Bore Nickel plated brass case.

12 Bore Dead Shot by Greener (Eley-Kynoch HS)

24 Bore By Greener

12 Bore Paragon (again this was an Eley-Kynoch cartridge)

As JP mentioned the 14 Bore.

The Police gun 12 - 14.

Plastic which is what you have ?

32 Bore

What is obvious is that most of all the Greener HS cartridges seem to have plain case walls.

Mike.

Mike, thank you for posting these photos!

Unfortunately for me, the gentleman only had 2 Eley Grand Prix 10 ga. Made in Canada. (Just a few cartridges short of a box, lol.)
By the way, your greener box is VERY NICE!

I will definately be on the lookout for some “Sporting Life” cartridges at the upcoming gun show here in town. I especially like the case wall print of the pheasant on these cartridges!

Thanks again!

Regards,
-Dave

Dave,

The Sporting Life are very common, especially in 12 and 16 bores, I would hazard a guess you will find some without too much problem.

Good luck with the hunt, if you get stuck give me a shout I have lots laying about.

Mike.

[quote=“Eightbore”]Dave,

The Sporting Life are very common, especially in 12 and 16 bores, I would hazard a guess you will find some without too much problem.

Good luck with the hunt, if you get stuck give me a shout I have lots laying about.

Mike.[/quote]

David,

My opinion only:
More then $2.00 each, but no one can honestly say what they will bring.

Unfortunately, price guides have little to do with retail value. I have yet to see a price guide “buy” or “sell” a single item in a given area… That is why they call them guides. They have very little understanding of the current marketplace, current values and how hard it is to find an item, cost of inventory, expenses, much less the laws of supply and demand on all the items they list. Example: if a box of 20 (30-30) Winchester is selling at Walmart for $20.00 or $1.00/cartridge and the price guide says it is only worth .50 cents, do you think Walmart should lower their cost?

Cartridges are like everything else in the world (food, stocks, gas, etc.). The law of supply and demand is what controls the retail price, not a price guide. It all boils down to what a person will pay. The larger the market, the higher the demand, thus the higher retail price. Of course, if more than one company is selling the item, then it becomes a “what’s your price game.”

Price guides are written on paper, on a given date, by a person who may or may not know what the current market conditions are on all the 1,000’s of items in the price guide. They are not written in stone, and no one person can keep track of all the calibers in all the markets. That is why I feel they are the only articles in the IAA Journal that need to be read with the understanding that they may not be correct.

I’m not slamming anyone, this is just my opinion. I love the Journal and Chris Punnet is a “HUGE” asset to us all in the IAA, and works harder than anyone I know in the IAA. The market will always set the price of an item, not a number on a piece of paper, as no one person can ever dictate the value of an item.

Thank you
Dave Call

Mike, great selection of Greener shotshells, thanks for sharing. Here is a scan from the No. 41 price list of 1920.

Regards,

Fede

Fede, thank you for the scan! I love old advertisements pertaining to cartridges!

And I can totally understand what Dave Call is saying with regards to pricing. It basically comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay for that particular item. But on the other hand, it is nice to have some sort of a guide to go by (as long as the price isn’t WAY off course)

Thank you to everyone who provided me with information. It is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
-Dave

[quote=“RimPin”]Fede, thank you for the scan! I love old advertisements pertaining to cartridges!

And I can totally understand what Dave Call is saying with regards to pricing. It basically comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay for that particular item. But on the other hand, it is nice to have some sort of a guide to go by (as long as the price isn’t WAY off course)

Thank you to everyone who provided me with information. It is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
-Dave[/quote]

Dave,

That sort of cartridge “Sporting Life” (in the UK) at a cartridge club meet. A good clean NPE would go for about £3, a loaded one a bit more, as they are all quite common. The older variations with a Greener HS, Eley London, etc. would fetch more, perhaps as much as £10 to £12. Then it is up to you to say yes or no to the price. Obviously the condition plays a part too, for the above I am assuming very good condition.

It is when you go to the brass cased bigger bores that the price climbs very quickly.

Regards,
Mike.

BTW, Nice scan Fede, thank you. I can’t get to my catalogues at the minute, buried under masses of stuff I am decorating :).

Mike.