Paper patched bullets

Is there a procedure to preserve the paper of a paper patched cartridge or just let it be?
frogbert.

Every question deserves an answer, even if it’s from a novice like me.

The older paper patched bullets used a high quality paper, often referred to as “banknote paper”. It usually holds up fairly well. Bullets using cheaper grades of paper tend to deteriorate faster.

I have a few of the old paper-patched cartridges and have found that there is not a lot you can do to improve the patch. Like any paper product, they do tend to turn yellow and get fragile with age and can break into little pieces if handled roughly. On some of my lesser cartridges I have tried wax coating or spraying them with a matte lacquer, but neither preserve the looks of the original paper patch.

There’s not much you can do to preserve the condition of a paper patch. The best you can do is to keep it from getting any worse than it is. My suggestion is to keep them away from other cartridges by storing them in round or square plastic tubes. Keeping them out of direct sunlight can help to preserve their original color.

I hope this helps.

Ray