Paper shotshell waterproofing

Was just jawing with another collector on the “OID” names such as Pegamoid shotshells of British manufacture. He thinks the OID refers to celluloid coating on the paper to make it wateproof. Anyone know about this? What was used to waterproof American shells?
Gourd

I don’t know a lot about waterproofing of paper hulls but in reading a lot of old stuff I have seen reference to “wax”, “resin”, “lacquer” and a lot of “special coatings” (un-named). Remington had a lacquered coating on their EXPRESS shells (and others) where it was proudly stated on the box.

I started a thread on this topic 5 or 6 months back, because I had an old Remington “Arrow” paper shell that appeared to be varnished. Remington used this lacquer-like coating for waterproofing. At least for the Arrow shells, the presence of this coating is very evident as it is shiny. Of course, there is no such need for plastic cases.

I do not know what material was used for this coating. I would assume a nitrocellulose lacquer would be most likely given the time period. I believe many, if not most, paper shells were parrafin-impregnated to provide some moisture resistance, but that wasn’t completely satisfactory, as anyone who was hunting back in the paper case days knows that after a day out in the rain, the shells swelled if you were not careful how you carried them.

Despite the variey of Lacquers, Waxes, Sodium Silicate (“Water Glass”) and other waterproofing agents used on paper shells, they invariably swelled from absorbed moisture in Wet or tropical environments ( in both WW I and WW II, Paper shells had to be replaced by Brass Shotshells (SG/OO-Buckshot) Loads used (a ) in the Trenches (USA) and (b) in the South and Western Pacific ( 1942-45.)

But in SVN, there were already the Plastic shells available, so with an added laquer-seal/heat-spot seal to the multiple petal crimp, waterproofing was assured ( unless immersed for long periods of time).

Regards,
Doc AV