Paper Weight?

I was reciently given what appears to be a paper wieght it is a Peters HV (early 60’s I would guess) shotshell box top cast in a clear plastic plate 1/4" thick and them cut slightly larger than the box top. It appaers to of be factory manufactured. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Doug–a picture would help a lot in being able to date it.

I agree however as it is the first time I have used this site I could not figure out how to attach a photo. [/img]

Here is the photo in Photo bucket but I still don’y think I have it right.

Doug

Glenn–I edited your PhotoBucket image string to make it display in the Forum. To post an image click on the bottom choice under your image in PhotoBucket. Then go to the Forum and use CTL-V to place the string in your post. Use “Preview” to make sure the image appears then click “Submit”

Glenn–This box top is much earlier than the 1960’s. Remington (and Peters, which was owned by Remington) introduced the “NEW” star crimp in 1939. The box could be as late as 1946-47 as there was no civilian ammunition production by Peters from 1942-1945 due to WW-II.

The evidence that leads me to believe it is original is that the wear on the printing looks intentional and the back of the paper appers to be in an as new condition with no shell indentions or locking flap mars on it. There is no evidence of the plastic being laminated even under magnification.

Glenn–It may very well be factory made. I do not know when the embedding plastic process became available, but I think it was mid-1950’s. The top may have been a printers sample or production sample keep in a file for reference. It may have been embedded as a retirement gift for someone at Remington who had worked on the star crimp design. Of course, this is all speculation as to why it was embedded in plastic. But, it would account for why an older box top was put in plastic at a later date.

Having seen many, many, many factory display items set in plastic, it is my opinion that this is NOT a product of the Peters Cartridge Company. Even if the picture is distorting the shape of the plastic block itself, which appears to have a somewhat crooked edge, the box top itself is not straight within the plastic, and I cannot picture Peters either using a worn box top, or artificially aging it, for this purpose.

One good check would be to put a square on the ages of the plastic. If the item’s edges are not square and straight, there is almost no chance it is something a factory would have made for any purpose. Again, in the picture, the edges look very uneven and crooked.

The fact that the underside of the label shows no special wear is not necessarily a sign the top was artificially worn. When the box is closed, it is the outside of the box that takes a beating from rough handling. In the absence of folds or tears, I would expect the underside to look better than the top side.

Further, it is the normal practice with souvenir and advertising objects like this to have the company name actually imprinted into the plastic. I won’t say it is always done - nothing is 100% of the time - but it is the norm.

I have several items laminated into plastic, done by a friend of mine with a kit he pruchased at some sort of hobby shop. They are unmarked, and amateurishly done. I also have about twenty or so factory advertising itsms done by various companies with objects set into plast blocks, large for desk displays, small probably for paper weights, and very small for key chains.
These were accumlated over my years working in a gun shop. I don’t really collect them. However, all of them reflect the high quality one would expect from such factory displays.

I could be wrong about the Peters box lid, of course. In the absence of a factory ad or brochure showing this item, one can never claim to be 100% certain. However, my opinion is that it is not a factory item. Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but it simply how I see this item.