Passing on the knowledge

I have in my possession an interesting chart copyrighted in 1936. It is entitled " Exterior Ballistic Chart" from E.I. DUPONT. It is folded into a 9"x5" factory envelope. When unfolded it is 6 pages 18"x12". It is describing various facets of ballistics. Over the years I have gleaned much knowledge from this site with little to contribute in return. Ray and Ron have been great help in my quest for knowledge. I would like to pass this chart on to someone who could use it or appreciate more than I. If Ray or Ron wants it, they get first rights, if neither of them want it, it will go to the first request. I appreciate all the help everyone has given over the years.

Passing on records

Can you please make a clear digital photo of the chart, in whole or in parts (to ensure good readability) and post it online for everyone to use?

Thanks

I think that would be the best course of action, indeed, Max.

An alternative would be to send a large scale copy to our IAA webmaster so he could post it on the reference data section of the IAA website for everyone to use-including non-IAA members.

Cheers,
Lew

remchester

I have two soft-cover booklets, the first published by Western Cartridge Co. ca. 1937, and the other by Du Pont ca. 1936. They are 78 and 38 pages respectively and I believe they have the same information as your chart, plus a lot more.

I really do appreciate your offer. But, I would rather it go to Ron assuming he would be interested in such things. And I’d bet the farm that he would be. :-)

Ray

For those who may wonder:
I assume that these are the (mostly) nomograms prepared by Coxe and Beugless in the thirties. A few years ago they were offered as reprints and that is the way I got mine. Contents:
0 “A Short Cut To Exterior Ballistics” (text)
1 Coefficient of Bullet Form (this graph for fitting an actual bullet to drawn shapes has been published several times)
2 Ballistic Coefficient (Nomogram; from bullet weight and caliber)
3 Remaining velocity to 3000 feet (from BC and muzzle velocity)
4 Angle of Departure for given range (from BC and muzzle velocity)
5 Time of Flight (as above)
6 Maximum Height of Trajectory
7 Angle of Fall
8 Wind deflection
9 Energy (from bullet weight and velocity)
10 Table comparing computed results with those read from the nomograms.
These aids are based on Ingall’s tables.

Alas, the sheets are a bit too large for an A3 scanner. A photo would have to be professional, otherwise the nomograms and bullet shape drawings would most likely be distorted.

For anyone interested in ballistics, there is a wealth of information available with the click of a mouse. Years ago, shooters and handloaders would have killed to have access to just a small bit of what is now available.

Many of the current cartridge re-loading manuals have tables, charts, and graphs with just about every bit of the basics that you’ll ever want to know, and then some. The Sierra manual is one of the best, devoting no less than 90 pages to Exterior Ballistics.

There are also several proprietary interior ballistic programs that you can run on your PC. Most of the exterior ballistics programs can be downloaded for free. And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist (or a ballistician) to use them. Even an ignorant farm-boy like me can navigate through most of them, quicker than you can enroll for ObamaCare. And it helps if you had paid attention to your math teachers when they told you that you’d someday need the knowledge they were trying to pound into you.

Ray

Remchester–Yes, I will take the charts, but the main reason is so I can scan them to make them available to anyone else that wants them as a PDF download. Thanks. Send them to:

Ron Merchant
1026 Ernst St.
Cadillac, MI 49601-1204.

Excellent. One of my instructors had one of these charts, and I coveted a PDF copy.

i don’t know exactly what the duPont ballistics chart is. The old Winchester and Western ammunition handbooks from the 40s and 50s contained a trajectory curve chart printed on onionskin paper to determine the rise and fall of bullets around the line of sight for various common hunting calibers.

The online JBM ballistics website is about as good as anything you can find for external ballistics calculations, and I have used it for years. jbmballistics.com/ballistics … tors.shtml

Those old charts and graphs have a lot of historical value but they are not of much practical use for today’s shooters. There are simply too many new cartridges, bullets, and powders. Plus, chronographs are much more accurate than they were back then.

I use JBM and it is one of the best. And it’s free. For Internal ballistics, the program sold by Sierra is a very good one. One other, called Quick Load, is also very good. But, unless you are a serious long range competitor, the charts and graphs in the loading manuals will give you all of data you’ll ever need. The Hornady manual has an entire Volume II devoted to ballistic charts.

Ray

The Dupont charts were included with a book from Brownells .
I do not remember which book .

I have the complete set in an envelope as new in a box in the basement .
If you want them just email.

Glenn

Glenn

Mine came with Ackley Handbook Vol 1. I’ve never opened mine.

Ray

Back in the days before computers, shooters wanting to develop loads for their wildcat cartridges had to use slide rules, pencil and paper, and a lot of head scratching. Then, in 1960, a slide rule developed just for handloaders was designed by a shooter named Homer Powley. It changed wildcatting from that day on. A couple of years later an additional slide rule, the Powley psi Calculator, was added to be used in conjunction with the Powley Computer. I used my set for years. Today, a program like QuickLoad does a job that the old Powley slide rules took hours to complete.

Ray

Sounds good Ron, I will forward the charts to you. I am computer challenged myself and had no knowledge on how to post these large charts. With you abilities to post these charts for others is the reason I was hoping you or Ray would be interested in them.

There is an online Powley Computer.