Past Year-and-a-half acquisitions

Here are some acquisitions I have bartered, bought, traded, or received as a gift. All are in the groups in which I received them.
As soon as I have a chance to sort and catalogue I will post individual details and pictures.
In the batch is a 1903 dated .30 US Army, two 9mm rifle rounds, a bag of Cordite next to some .303 British, a mix of large bore and rimfire, and mixed in with some new hollow point 7.62x39 are a couple of small bore Russian and, 7.62 [7.62x45 Czech?] the guy threw in. Some real surprises in there!

BTW- Topmost bag has a few dozen Winchester 9mm ‘Action Proving Rounds’.
If anyone wants/needs for their collection, PM me, and for a couple dollars for USPS postage, (paypal, not credit card, and use ‘friends and family’ or they charge a percentage), and I will send a couple to the first 25 requesters.

I-spy a Mexican 7x57 charger, right on the bottom row … that’s something nice to have.

Peter

All of those loose chargers/stripper clips [9] came with the rounds in between them, plus the three loaded clips above them. Mostly 7x57, a couple of 6mm, one or two 6.5 maybe, and one or two I have no idea… yet. I still need to go through them.

These just arrived in the mail today, so, I guess they fit with the aquisitions subject. A Christ Mass present from a friend.

The mould is a .443" round ball and conical, I am presuming it to be a recent [say, in the last 30 years] Italiam import that came packed with a cap-n-ball revolver kit. Cool enough.

The stripper clip is filled with 8x56, but I am not sure which/whos… [8x56mm RS Mannlicher, Adopted 1930 by Austria, 1931 by Hungary, 1934 by Bulgaria?]

All of the bullets mic at exactly 8.34mm/.3289", and the cases mic between 55.72mm~55.79mm, with two at 55.78mm, and all with a nice, clean, ‘Eagle-Swastica’. Very cool!

Your measurements are correct, the bullet diameter is larger than the M93.
The eagle with the swastika as used here simply replaced the Austrian eagle after German occupation of Austria. This eagle identifies it as ammunition produced for the military. In this case by Hirtenberger, which was taken away from its owner Mandl and made part of Gustloff.

Correct…the VIII 1938 ammo by Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik under the control of Gustloff Werke after the Anscluss of March 1938, was for the Bulgarian acquisition of the Majority of the Austrian M95/30 rifles and Carbines/ Short-rifles. Total ammo supplied included new manufacture HP- GW, as well as old Austrian stock going back to 1931…and the clips were varied from New made ( eagle swastika) all the way back through WWI makers and the previous M88 clip, which you have here…which was a smaller version of the M86 11mm clip.

Doc AV

I have read that millions of rounds of that 8x56R were sold as surplus from Bulgaria in the 1990s.

There used to be a lot of inerted rounds in that calibre around in the UK.

Due to the markings I have seen it incorrectly called “Nazi 8mm Mauser ammo”.

Falcon - you heard right. The Reichsadler headstamp on 8 x 56R is probably the most common found in the United States. I think it was Interarms that brought in a huge amount of it, but I could be wrong. Golden State Arms and Federal Ordnance, both California companies, imported surplus ammo as well. We carried it in our store, all of which was in original boxes, on the clips, most of which (in fact all I actually saw) were on the clips marked with the Reichsadler.

John Moss

How reliable were the cartridges? Were there any hang fires or dead primers?

I ask that as I wondered if that was the reason so much of it was made into inert dummies.

Falcon,

I don’t recall any serious complaints, but it was a long time ago. I think I would remember, because we did have to withdraw and either return to the supplier, or simply have it destroyed,
a couple of lots of other surplus ammunition. One was Israeli .308, which was very bad, but I don’t recall the headstamp. One was FN .45, which we sold a lot of over some time, but then at a point, we started getting reports of hangfires, some of them quite long (in seconds). It came out of Peru, and the original wooden crates showed evidence of very bad storage, yet it was o.k. for a year or so. (We bought a lot of it).

We also had to return, almost immediately, some Taiwan made ammo with a CCC headstamp brought in by a firm in Sacramento, the California state capitol. The US-Style military boxes of the then new ammo claimed US Specs with non-corrosive, non-mercuric primers. When customers came in with ruined barrels in their .45s, we had it lab-tested and it was found to be highly (!!!) corrosive and slightly mercuric. Real crap. Fortunately, we got our money back and the importer paid for repairs to the damaged guns. One, a custom-built combat competition gun, belonged to one of our employees!

Again, I don’t recall any problems of note with the Gustloff Werk, Hirtenberg manufactured 8 x 56R.

john Moss

[quote=“DocAV4901, post:6, topic:30854”]
…and the clips were varied from New made ( eagle swastika) all the way back through WWI makers and the previous M88 clip, which you have here…[/quote]

Just so I think I am following, and correct me if I am in error:
The clip is for the Manlicher 1895 straight-pull rifle [Model 1895/30?]?
The cartridge was originally the the Austro-Hungarian 8×50mmR/M93?
And the clip originated with… ‘something’ from 1888?
Thanks!