Pawam 12g pionki

12g red paper shell with PAWAM 12 12 PIONKI on the headstamp, on the paper: Poloxid, non-corrosive caps, made in Poland, big flower-like stylized symbol with OLYMPIC below it, 2,25mm to the right of the flower, “8” to the left. May anyone guess the year of production?

Old Polish 12 GA. ID period?

I do not know when they started to produce these kind of shells, But I guess about 40 years ago, up till now. But for as far as I know they do not make the paper shells anymore.
The older variety is the one with the olympic rings on them.
Regards Rene

I remember shooting LOTS of these in the early 1970’s. They were CHEAP.

Thanks. Pionki is a Polish city, but PAWAM seems to be an acronym. May someone tell me the full name, i.e what each letter means?

PAWAM is a name used by PRONIT CHEMICAL FACTORY, name translated into English. Factory as far as I know is still in business and still using this headstamp. As previously stated they are located in Pionki, Poland.

Actually, the current name of the ammunition factory at Pionki, Poland, according to their own website, is “Fabryka Amunicji Mysliwskiej-Pionki (FAM-Pionki).” They obviously have a Checmical Plant as well, although it is not mentioned on the website, but does show up in other parts of the web.

The company was formed under that name in 1991, as a result of a restructuring process. They are a Limited Liability Company (LLC). They make a lot of shotshells under a brand name “Olympic,” as well as some boxed with the factory desgination as the brand - FAM. They make a line of civilian defense ammo with rubber projectiles, and a whole line of police shotshell munitions as well. Under other products, they list Primed and unprimed empty cases, plastic tubes, polyethylene wads and smokeless powders for hunting cartridges in various grades under the brand “Sokol.”

Unfortunately, nowhere in their literature do they mention their headstamp, the word “PAWAM” or the meaning of it,nor is there any combination of words shown that could be turned into 'PAWAM."

Their web site makes no mention of the “Pronit Chemical Factory,” nor could I establish a direct connection on the web, with the majority of the most interesting looking sites on these subjects being in the Polish language, which I cannot read a word of. A connection with Pronit would not surprise me, as it seems to be a very, very large concern with lots of different specialty plants in operation.

[quote=“JohnMoss”] Under other products, they list Primed and unprimed empty cases, plastic tubes, polyethylene wads and smokeless powders for hunting cartridges in various grades under the brand “Sokol.”
[/quote]
I think “Sokol” is “Falcon” in Polish.

Falcon - it is Falcon. Sokol that is. so says the Compact Polish and English Dictionary by Wiedza Powszechna.

Trust a Falcon to know a Falcon!

I just got a reply from FAM-PIONKI about the meaning of PAWAM, here it is:

PAWAM to skr

Vlad - thanks for doing that. It really rounds out what has turned out to be an interesting thread, both in its content and in researching this factory.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Falcon - it is Falcon. Sokol that is. so says the Compact Polish and English Dictionary by Wiedza Powszechna.

Trust a Falcon to know a Falcon![/quote]

I remember where I knew it from now, the PZL Swidnik W-3 “Sokol” helicopter. I googled the word but could only find any reference to it being a Czech word.

John,
You may know PAWAM acromyn translation, but for those less proficient in Polish, it is (verbatum):
PAństwowa Wytwornia Amunicji Myśliwskiej = National Factory Ammunition (for) Hunting.

How it`s made - Polish Flare 26 mm

Vlad - that’s a big help, as I don’t know any Polish. I have a dictionary but it is not always successful with firearms, hunting or military terminology.

The Company History for FAM-Pionki says “FAM-Pionki is the successor of the Hunting Ammunition Factory in Pionki, Poland, and its 50 years of history.”

Good verification of what you just learned from them.

Thanks for the translation, and for taking the right route in finding out the meaning of PAWAM. I have kind of gotten disouraged on writing factories, because they so seldom answer, even when they give an email address and invite inquiries for information. The American factories are the worse for this, by the way, in my experience.

[quote]Unfortunately, nowhere in their literature do they mention their headstamp, the word “PAWAM” or the meaning of it,nor is there any combination of words shown that could be turned into 'PAWAM."[/quote]

The latest headstamp is FAM 12 Pionki 12.
regards Rene