Pederson Device Ammo Crate?

[/url]][/img]

I have been told that this wooden crate/box was for .30 Cal. Pederson Device ammo. If not, then what was it made for? What is the fair market value of this box?

Thank you for looking and for your consideration.

Greg, I don’t know what it is but this is not a .30 Pedersen Device ammunition crate, which has a different construction and was clearly identified as such. If was repainted, I guess that even an original crate would have no collector’s value.

About 10 years ago, I saw a full Pedersen ammo crate. I can’t remember the appearance details, but it did not look like the one pictured. Not to say that there may not have been several crate designs.

Definitely NOT a Pedersen crate, and 99% certain it is NOT even an ammunition crate of any sort, at least U.S.

The hinge and latch mechanism does not match any U.S. ammunition containers I am familiar with. It sort of looks German or Austrian to me, but that is just a guess.

This may be a container for some sort of instrument- radio, field phone, telescope or sighting device, flare gun, or something.

Judging by the hand peened rivets it looks to be of Spanish/American War vintage, as far as age of container looks. M. Rea

Thank you, everyone.

At least I know what it’s not, which is a step in the right direction. Now, if I can only figure out what it is! BTW, the handle on the side locks the cover when unfolded.

I’d agree it appears to be a carrying case for some type of equipment, but unless the box has been painted over, it should be marked or labeled as to its contents.

Just a thought. Are you guys on the same wave length? Is the subject a box for Pedersen Device ammunition or a box for the Pedersen Device? Two different things. Either way, I don’t know the answer.

Ray

I weouldn’t think that the Pedersen Device itself would need a wood case. It was equipped with a well designed steel case that hooked to the standard GI belts, as I recall. Been a long time since I’ve seen a complete Pedersen device.

John

I’m still only guessing, but I’d almost bet my last Social Security check that the pictured box has nothing whatever to do with the Pedersen Device, or the ammo for it. My military mind tells me that the Device, magazine, scabbard, canvas pouch, etc. were packed in the same box as the MK1 rifles. If they became seperated from the rifle they would not be of much use. Since most of the ammo was made by the commercial manufacturers, it probably came in their own shipping boxes, maybe even packed in the same box as the rifle and Device.

My SS check is not very big so I’m not exactly gambling my life away. ;-) ;-)

Ray

Ray - Have never heard of ammo being packed for initial shipment with weapons, other than some very special packaging for airborne drops to partisans, cut-off troops (in which case it is usually repacked by the command sending the ammo up for the drop). However, regarding the weapon system itself, since the Pedersen device took the Special Springfield M1903 Mark I (? - I am not clear on the nomenclature anymore), I tend to agree with you completely that the devices and rifles were probably packed together.It would make sense.

John

Grenade Cartridges were routinely packed in the same crate as the grenades and launchers. Not the same as ammo, I agree. But, since the Cal .30 Auto Pistol Cartridges could only be used in the MK 1 rifles with the Pedersen Device, I would think that keeping them together would have been a priority.

We need one of our old vets, like Gourd, who was there in 1917, to tell us how he remembers it. ;-) ;-)

Ray

Ray & John, here is a picture of the front side of the ammunition crate. The 3000 cartridges were divided in 5 bandoleers, each holding 600 rounds divided in 3 cartons, each holding 5 boxes of 40 rounds.

My unguaranteed recollection is that Pedersen Device production got under way ahead of the Mark I rifles with which they were to be complimentary, so there was likely a period in which substantial numbers of the devices existed without rifles with which they could have been paired. Jack