Penetration calculator formulas

So i am digging into formulas for calculating armor penetration of projectiles and i thought i would ask this community for aid. I am fairly new to this and only really know about the Jabob De Marre formula on a surface level.

Image from a quick google search.

However i have heard that De Marre is flawed and only works for full caliber projectiles, not subcaliber ammunition such as APDS and long rod penetrators such as APFSDS. Projectiles with internal cores such as APCR (HVAP) is also problematic etc.

3 Likes

Side note question:
For those of us who do not collect largere caliber [those that are not traditional handheld/shoulder fired firearm cartridges] is there a glossary handy that explains the “big gun bullets” abbreviations?

I get High Velocity and Armour Piercing, and some of the older standbys, but things like CR, FSDS, and a few of the other longer acronyms have me stumped.

Thanks!

1 Like

FS, DS, and FSDS are easy - fin stabilized, discarding sabot, and fin stabilized discarding sabot.

APCR = armor piercing composite rigid. It’s the earlier non-DS type of subcaliber armor piercing projectiles, in which the subcaliber core is held by a fullcaliber carrier of a lighter metal.

Ole

2 Likes

Ole, thanks, much appreciated.
Are there any other acronyms I should be aware of when canons and such are referenced?

1 Like

Don’t have any reference glossaries, but the common ones for anti-tank and tank cannons are:

• HVAP
  • APCR
  • APC and APCBC (capped, ballistic cap)
  • APDS
  • APFSDS
  • HEAT/HEATFS (high explosive anti tank/fin stabilized)
  • HEFS (high explosive fin stabilized)
  • HESH/HEP (high explosive squash head/high explosive plastic in the UK and US respectively)
  • Canister shot, which are essentially big-scale shotgun shells

From QuarryHS.co.uk:

Ole

2 Likes

Thanks, one other I knew, HEAT, that makes… four?
I am making a chart I can hang next to my computer for reference.

1 Like

There are tons of different ammunition components so make it a chart that can be expanded on over time.

1 Like

I can print 13" wide, by several feet long!

1 Like