"Peters .35 S.& W."

I read about these 2 rectangular side ports on the projectile, and that they are supposed to be filled up by lead while travelling along a barrel during firing, but I am still unclear about how the lead, which is exposed only in the narrow nose opening, would come out over the jacket. May someone explain?
scan0085

DSCF3057

The slots are not there for any purpose of interacting with the rifling in the barrel. The bullet is of metal-capped construction, with the jacket only extending to the base of the ogive. The slots in the bullet, “anchor slots,” are there for jacket retention on the lead core; basically, “anchoring the two parts together.”

Reference: “U.S. Cartridges and Their Handguns, 1795 to 1975,” by Charles (Chuck) Suydam, pages 266-267.

John Moss

2 Likes

Thanks, John. I re-read the following:

On the 35 S&W the jacket covers only the front part of the bullet’s core so that the lead core actually is in contact with the bore as the bullet is fired. Lead is forced into those ports in the jacket as the bullet is assembled, thereby locking the jacket onto the core. Jack

I merely misunderstood from which side the lead was forced into the slots.